News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Ryzen 7000 left with a mountain to climb as Intel Alder Lake occupies top 10 places in PassMark single-thread chart while AMD languishes outside top 25

Started by Redaktion, February 18, 2022, 23:59:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel Alder Lake chips now occupy all top 10 positions in the current PassMark CPU Mark single-thread performance chart for high-end desktop processors. The highest-ranked AMD chip is the Ryzen 9 5950X in a lowly 26th place. Hopes are high for Ryzen 7000 "Raphael", but there is a steep mountain to climb to topple the Intel Core i9-12900 family.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ryzen-7000-left-with-a-mountain-to-climb-as-Intel-Alder-Lake-occupies-top-10-places-in-PassMark-single-thread-chart-while-AMD-languishes-outside-top-25.601294.0.html

JG

If you guys think AL has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Zen4, you're frankly delusional.

RL has a very small but tangible chance of beating Zen 4 (the Intel messaging of "up to double digit performance" isn't exactly confidence inspiring), which reverts back to a snowball's chance if there are V-cache SKUs. Best case for Intel here is that RL arrives early and Zen 4 arrives late, plus V-cache parts arrive even later or are non-existent.

ML is Intel's next big hope. If consumers are lucky supply will be plentiful in 2023. Assuming both ML and Zen 5 launch on time, it could be one hell of fight. If there's a significance difference in launch windows, the company that launches that generation first is going to benefit greatly.

Ariliquin

Well we are comparing Intel's net generation against AMD's last generation, it will be interesting to see where AMD ends up once their chips launch. If you look at the High Performance chart for CPU AMD beat Intel for the top 9 spots and 17 out of 20 in the top 20. So yeah, if you are gaming and don't care about power usage then Intel looks ok for home. But Intel has a long way to go to regain the crown and AMD's next generation chips are not even here yet.

KeithD

The article says single core, doesn't matter what unless ur using antique software/games that won't mean much. Also power consumption is still high, all Intel has done is put low power/performance chips to match during lower cpu usage tImes to save on power

Bias sniffer

Alder lake has an advantage over AMDs last Gen chips in single core and multicore but at the expense of huge power draw, In a desktop right now id 100% get an Alderlake but everywhere else AMD is a more sensible choice in both Servers and Laptops and AL isn't changing that yet. The 7000 series chips when they finally appear will likely further advance AMDs power draw lead and close the gap on raw single core performance although Intel has always lead here so I suspect that will continue. I don't get why people have to have such bias around CPU brands, I have an 11th Gen Intel in my laptop and an AMD 5600x desktop side which were both the best tool for the job at the time I bought them. It's time NoteBook check and others articles reflected that rather than being an Intel mouthpiece magazine.

Angelos Makis

Well obviously this article is not reliable at all and I will explain why. Firstly who is dealing with single core benchmarks in 2022? Why I should be happy with a single core results in a multi core future. Secondly how much power does the Intel chip needs to operate? I don't see the innovation and the progress in Intel's chips. They have along way to cover and at least try to compete in a descent fight with AMD.

Tristan Jakob-Hoff

To those asking why single core performance is important, take music and audio work for example. Every audio plugin on a track is processed in sequence, not in parallel, and as a result all the necessary number crunching has to take place on a single core. So for music production, single core speeds are the number one consideration in many use cases.

Bernard

How much for Intel pay for this clickbait? No-one gives a fig about single core performance any more!

okidoki

AMD fanboi: "but single core is meaningless in multicore chips!"
*Opens multicore score for 12900k* - REEEEE!!!

RobertJasiek

Just because you don't care for single thread speed does not mean that there would be no users. E.g., for all my everyday software, it matters while multi-thread speed is immaterial.

okidoki

OTOH Intel had to bump its top CPUs to 250W just to stay slightly ahead, so I wouldn't worry too much about AMD.

Bloodin

Rob Stan

Another garbo "article".

Now, besides what most other people pointed out...

The difference between 12900K and 5950X (~18,2%) is smaller than that going gen on gen from 3950X to 5950X (~24,4%), but somehow some genius here had a dream where obfuscating

Funny how by the same passmark charts, but for multithreaded, 5950X is 12% faster than the 12900K, but that somehow ain't a "mountain" to climb for Intel eh? lmao

I guess there isn't much these days that can't be spinned into a clickbait title. We all know that garbage like this bring in the ad revenue. Such a sad world.

rs

Nonsense. Zen 4 can easily improve Passmark single core performance by 40% or even more. +20-25% IPC, +400-600 MHz boost, AVX512, DDR5, V-Cache (?). There are several aspects where Zen 4 can improve significantly. And as we know, since 2020 Passmark is somewhat biased towards Intel. Average single core advantage of 12900K is more like 15%, not 20%.

Intel better should design something more competitive than their big.LITTLE shitshow. 5950X ~140W 46173, 12900K ~240W 40612.

rs

Quote from: Tristan Jakob-Hoff on February 19, 2022, 11:30:21
To those asking why single core performance is important, take music and audio work for example. Every audio plugin on a track is processed in sequence, not in parallel, and as a result all the necessary number crunching has to take place on a single core. So for music production, single core speeds are the number one consideration in many use cases.
But you can process the tracks in parallel. Image, video or audio processing are actually very good examples of the importance of a good multicore design. Yes, in my opinion single core performance is still important. But it's not that important anymore as 20 years ago or so. Even small budget CPUs have more than enough single core performance for your daily tasks. Multicore performance and efficiency is equally important nowadays.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview