News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel officially enters the cryptomining business with new Bonanza chips which supposedly deliver 1000x better performance per watt than mainstream GPUs

Started by Redaktion, February 11, 2022, 22:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel's new energy-efficient accelerators for cryptomining are intended to prepare the company for the era of the metaverse and Web 3.0, while gamers probably hope that these new chipsets could potentially ease the continuous GPU shortage.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-officially-enters-the-cryptomining-business-with-new-Bonanza-chips-which-supposedly-deliver-1000x-better-performance-per-watt-than-mainstream-GPUs.598851.0.html

Cinematographer

This makes no sense. Even the fastest GPUs on earth would be terrible to use for Bitcoin mining. It's like buying a washing machine because it gets great mileage.

Hopps

This is an embarrassing article. GPU's are not used to mine Bitcoin directly anymore, they are used on non-SHA algorithms. This new ASIC will compete with other existing ASIC's to mine Bitcoin, which are all already massively more efficient at mining Bitcoin than GPU's as well.

This new ASIC will not affect the GPU shortage problem because it cannot mine the cryptocurrencies that GPU's are currently mining.

Enrico Frahn

Quote from: Hopps on February 12, 2022, 19:49:14
This is an embarrassing article. GPU's are not used to mine Bitcoin directly anymore, they are used on non-SHA algorithms.

Hi Hopps,
my "embarrassing article" explicitly states that GPUs are not commonly used for SHA-256 Bitcoin mining. However, Intel has used this exact comparison in its official press release for some reason, and comparisons to other ASICs are obviously not available yet.

Gold Cucumber

Hi Enrico,
but this is your words, right? Its literally first sentence, associating Bitcoin with 'annoyance of gamers'  and it does not say its from Intel's press-release:

The persistent boom revolving around digital currencies like Bitcoin is an annoyance for a large number of gamers, most of which probably still struggle with getting their hands on a well-performing GPU at a fair and reasonable price.

G L

A more interesting article would be about how confident intel must be to compare there ASIC to a GPUs Bitcoin mining performance. You recognize that the comparison was apples to oranges, but then highlight it in the same click-baity way that Intel is doing.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview