News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

No more cheap copycats: Xiaomi targets Apple in high-end battle of "life and death"

Started by Redaktion, February 11, 2022, 20:09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun has announced that the popular Chinese OEM will be targeting the high-end sector of the smartphone market in future to allow it to grow and develop. Ironically, Xiaomi has Apple and the iPhone's market dominance in its sights after spending years being accused of being an Apple copycat.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/No-more-cheap-copycats-Xiaomi-targets-Apple-in-high-end-battle-of-life-and-death.598846.0.html

Anon456

1. Copy and steal technology from competitors, while minimizing R&D spend and maximizing operational costs.
2. Grow your market share and make profit on the back of other companies spending huge money on R&D and innovation.
3. Use the money to 'differentiate' your copycats from your competitors. Most likely, by throwing more money in hiring people from your competition ('cause you simply lack the skills & knowledge to innovate).

Internet

Rounded corners aren't technology.  They don't steal SoCs from Qualcomm or Mediatek, Android from Google, etc.

An0n

I like their approach of no more copycat, ehem, after Mi 8 was designed clearly to copy iPhone X.

But battle life and death is glorified bullshit. They are still struggling competing with other android manufacturers, especially Samsung in global or BBK in their own China mainland, and they want to take heads on Apple? Not to mention still rely to either Snapdragon or MediaTek, and android? Please, that is just empty threat.

Gus Oliva

There is zero possibility that I will ever consider a chinese crap phone over Apple. Heck, I live in China since 2011 and I seldom see people branding a xiaomi.

MIUI Tracking Bot

Xiaomi's share of ODM phones is above 75%. In their IoT branch it's nearly 100% ODM devices which means another companies do the R&D, design and production of most Xiaomi devices and they just slap their brand on them. Just seeing how little staff they have for a company with such revenues and especially compared to Samsung or Apple it's clear this is just marketing bs. They don't have the capability and personal to innovate and this will be reflected in their products.
Not to mention the tracking through their MIUI & IoT apps, questionable security of their IoT offerings and bare bone software support.

ShadowDX

So let me get this clear (people in comments sections).. you complain about Xiaomi by listing:
1. "Chinese crap" while Apple produces it's devices in China aswell
2. Outsourcing design and R&D while iPhone designs are now outsourced to Apple's former designer's studio/company and they STILL sell you the same old crap, while Xiaomi has not only started the design revolution back in 2016 but is leading it?
3. Talk about how Xiaomi tracks through MIUI like a blind sheep, haven't read past the headline that it's a browser from Chinese ROM, as if Apple has never undergone several instances of tracking or lousily allowed others to track.
4. "Copy and steal" while it is no other than Xiaomi's original Mix from 2016 that landed in the museum of design marking the new directive for smartphone design.
Times change, stagnant giants fall. Your stupid love for Apple and hate towards Chinese brands is what's driving the market to higher and higher prices on these devices without us getting anything in return.

kek

Quote from: ShadowDX on February 12, 2022, 14:33:04
So let me get this clear (people in comments sections).. you complain about Xiaomi by listing:
1. "Chinese crap" while Apple produces it's devices in China aswell
2. Outsourcing design and R&D while iPhone designs are now outsourced to Apple's former designer's studio/company and they STILL sell you the same old crap, while Xiaomi has not only started the design revolution back in 2016 but is leading it?
3. Talk about how Xiaomi tracks through MIUI like a blind sheep, haven't read past the headline that it's a browser from Chinese ROM, as if Apple has never undergone several instances of tracking or lousily allowed others to track.
4. "Copy and steal" while it is no other than Xiaomi's original Mix from 2016 that landed in the museum of design marking the new directive for smartphone design.
Times change, stagnant giants fall. Your stupid love for Apple and hate towards Chinese brands is what's driving the market to higher and higher prices on these devices without us getting anything in return.

Good for you if you sell your soul for a smartphone, Also, actually, all brands moving to China is what raised the prices to begin with. They lowered their manufacturing costs and raised their incomes and have since become more greedy. Just look for smartphone prices before 2014 and you will see what I mean. It has gotten worse since then, and I can't blame China completely on this, since it was each corporation decision to move over there and not all of them did (Samsung & LG stayed out, only producing devices in China meant for China, Sony moved to Thailand, etc).

As for Xiaomi, I would sincerely consider doing a new Android implementation that's not MIUI. It's not that MIUI is bad per se, but it has bugs that are probably caused by old and dirty code and it probably carries support for legacy screens and devices plus it's long overdue for a complete makeover, kind of what Samsung did with One UI and LG with its Velvet UI.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview