News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Steam Deck teardowns reveal potential shortcoming for Valve's handheld gaming console

Started by Redaktion, February 09, 2022, 23:52:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Steam Deck handheld gaming console from Valve has appeared in two major teardown videos from popular tech content creators. While the overall build of the Steam Deck and its custom AMD SoC received positive attention there was one particularly noticeable shortcoming with the battery and its removability.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Steam-Deck-teardowns-reveal-potential-shortcoming-for-Valve-s-handheld-gaming-console.598470.0.html

Cooe

If you're ACTUALLY doing a battery replacement you won't care about manhandling the old, to be replaced battery while getting it out. Aka, GETTING OUT THE GLUED IN BATTERY IS JUST FINE IF YOU DON'T NEED TO RE-USE / ARE ACTUALLY REPLACING IT!

The battery is PLENTY "user-replaceable"

RinzImpulse

Quote from: Cooe on February 10, 2022, 03:15:55
What a stupid f**king article... If you're ACTUALLY doing a battery replacement you won't care about manhandling the old.....
Umm... I disagree. If you didn't handle it with care, you might most likely break the screen (that is below the metal frame) and make fire (like Galaxy Note 7) which is the issue Linus was talked about

JohnIL

Some hints that battery life will not be very good either. That would be a problem given its main purpose would be portability. The question also will be how soon the hardware becomes obsolete with newer games? I mean it already appears that some current games barely meet minimum FPS. I think Valve has done the best they can, but there is limitations cramming all that hardware into a small space and dealing with heat and performance.

Dasein

Quote from: JohnIL on February 10, 2022, 11:50:21
Some hints that battery life will not be very good either. That would be a problem given its main purpose would be portability. The question also will be how soon the hardware becomes obsolete with newer games? I mean it already appears that some current games barely meet minimum FPS. I think Valve has done the best they can, but there is limitations cramming all that hardware into a small space and dealing with heat and performance.

I mean, they could've been in a better spot if they waited for better LPDDR5X chips, and also x64 big.LITTLE CPUs like Alder Lake or AMD's upcoming implementation, or just used another type of battery + better cooling.

But they seem to want a "console-like" spec, I'm not sure if they think the specialized PC hardware would be future-proof & last the same time as a PS5? (7 Years of support)
Laptop/PC Games don't usually have that optimization or backwards support

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview