News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Enterprise purchasers beware: Newer Lenovo ThinkPad laptops make RJ45-Ethernet suddenly optional

Started by Redaktion, February 07, 2022, 16:58:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

RJ45-Ethernet is not common anymore in laptops meant for consumers, Wi-Fi is the norm nowadays. Meanwhile, in the world of corporate laptops, a wired internet connection is sometimes still an important feature. This status-quo seems to be rapidly changing however: Ethernet was still standard on many 2021 ThinkPads, but in a recent update, Lenovo has made it an optional feature on many corporate models, including the popular ThinkPad T14.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Enterprise-purchasers-beware-Newer-Lenovo-ThinkPad-laptops-make-RJ45-Ethernet-suddenly-optional.598083.0.html

Anonym

Wait, is that the square charger making a comeback in the ThinkPad T14 G2 base cover without side docking port?

Benjamin Herzig

Quote from: Anonym on February 07, 2022, 17:29:22Wait, is that the square charger making a comeback in the ThinkPad T14 G2 base cover without side docking port?
No, from the symbol next to the port, a Thunderbolt 4 port will positioned there.

The cutout is also smaller than the proprietary Slim tip port.

Anonym

Quote from: Benjamin Herzig on February 07, 2022, 17:40:15
No, from the symbol next to the port, a Thunderbolt 4 port will positioned there.

The cutout is also smaller than the proprietary Slim tip port.
Thank you for your time :)
In hindsight, I should have noticed the cut-out was noticeably smaller than the nearby USB-A, therefore it could not be the older "slim tip" power adapter.

Zephxiii

Great exactly what I didn't want to see. Don't remove ethernet port and especially don't remove the side mechanical dock connector. Those have already been removed on the X1 Carbon and don't need it removed on these.

aindriu

a bit disappointing to cut the RJ45, it's useful to provide a solid connection, the laptop might have WiFi 6E but the router might be WiFi 5 and/or heavily congested. 

The T14 Gen 3 key travel is moving to 1.5mm after previously promising to keep it at 1.8mm

smeagol

Oh, great. I was looking to buy the new Lenovo notebooks, but if I don't like the "select configurations" who still have RJ-45, I'll have to look for a different brand and say goodbye to Lenovo.

Same thing happened last years with other brands who decided I didn't need a webcam or a 3.5 connector because "we're giving you a grand total of 2 USB ports, you can buy an adapter and use those" >:(

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview