News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD's technical staff member tries to explain Radeon RX 6500 XT's poor performance by claiming that the GPU was designed for laptops

Started by Redaktion, January 22, 2022, 17:15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

By popular consensus, the Radeon RX 6500 XT is a mediocre GPU with gaming performance on par with the last-gen Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB. A member of AMD's technical staff has now tried to explain the situation by positing that the Navi 24 chip featured inside the RX 6500 XT was initially meant to power discrete notebook GPUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s-technical-staff-member-tries-to-explain-Radeon-RX-6500-XT-s-poor-performance-by-claiming-that-the-GPU-was-designed-for-laptops.594129.0.html

Ilnahro

In what world is the 6500XT going for 3x to 4x the MSRP? You can get a 6600 XT for 3x the MSRP of the 6500XT and a 6700XT for 4x the MSRP of the 6500XT. It is going for 1.5-2x the MSRP. Still a lot but nowhere near the exaggeration you suggest here.

CmdrEvil

Not sure about other markets, but in UK it's in stock from most retailers for about 220-230 pounds

Sadnehs

if they just called it the 6500 Lite,  or NB fore notebook, or something. I think peoples criticisms would be less harsh. Because they'd recognize its just a placeholder laptop gpu, being made available on desktop to help with shortages.

But they positioned it as the upgrade to the 5500 and priced it too high. Presumably they didnt want people to know they were doing a big portable push, but its stil very lame and deceptive of them.

Anonymousgg

It's obviously true, explaining several of the design decisions. Except putting 4 GB VRAM which is desktop specific and foils mining.

Quote from: LL on January 22, 2022, 19:59:14
I don't get it, why would anyone want it over an APU?

Because it's faster than the fastest Rembrandt and mobile Xe?

Cheeks2184

I feel like they should've made it the 6500 non XT to make the lack of performance more clear. Also, it's not "nearly impossible" to get at MSRP. I've already had several opportunities to buy one for $199 but I'm not interested.

Dink

I agree that the labelling could have been better but my take is it is not the strongest card, and it's not meant to be. Currently for $199 you can't even buy a 1050ti (Microcenter has had some new ones on stock lately).  Since it's an upgrade from the 1050ti, I say, it's a good deal IF IT FITS YOUR USE REQUIREMENT. 

If it doesn't fit your use requirement, save up 3x the amount.

Maj

They should have lowered the price or called it lite. 6GB VRAM would have been better budget card.

JS

The GPU WAS designed for laptops.  Techtube / techtwitter has been saying so for quite some time. 

Tetsuro

It's like a 1660, very good for 199$. Point is that today people are used to consider 200 watt cards and make stupid comparisons. It's a good 1080p solution, like the Xbox Series S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview