News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Razer gets found out with misleading 'N95 grade' marketing claims for its Zephyr and Zephyr Pro face masks

Started by Redaktion, January 11, 2022, 13:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Razer has been caught red-handed over the marketing of its Zephyr and Zephyr Pro face masks. Previously, the company marketed both as being 'N95 grade'; it has been selling the Zephyr since October 2021. Neither are 'N95 grade' and nor has Razer received any certifications to make such claims.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-gets-found-out-with-misleading-N95-grade-marketing-claims-for-its-Zephyr-and-Zephyr-Pro-face-masks.591795.0.html

S.Yu

It may not be one...but it could be one. I don't see anything obvious in its design that prevents it from getting N95 certification. It may obstruct breathing more but probably not more so compared to "passive" N95 masks.

_MT_

Quote from: S.Yu on January 11, 2022, 18:04:53
It may not be one...but it could be one. I don't see anything obvious in its design that prevents it from getting N95 certification. It may obstruct breathing more but probably not more so compared to "passive" N95 masks.
I guess the big question is whether someone makes "N95-grade" filters that fit the mask. If nobody makes such filters, then the claim is misleading. It might be technically possible, but that is of little help to a consumer. Since I live in the EU, I always thought it was a gimmick. If it doesn't have certification, it is useless. As far as obstruction goes, surface area of the filter is going to play a role. And don't forget that many common respirators don't fit that well, for multiple reasons, improving airflow. If that thing seals well around the edges and has tiny filters, it could get interesting.

t4n0n

To be honest, this whole episode is just another demonstration of the entire farce surrounding the use of masks even today.

For those who weren't aware (which I'm sure is probably 99% of people, given the continued use of these things and the previous comments), N95 masks do not achieve their respective level of protection through mechanical obstruction of the virus as a result of their filter, but from the electrostatic charge that they hold for the first ~4 hours of their use. After this time, such masks are almost entirely useless at preventing transmission of the coronavirus in indoor settings, much like the surgical mask/fabric alternatives.

_MT_

Quote from: t4n0n on January 12, 2022, 15:42:23
... N95 masks do not achieve their respective level of protection through mechanical obstruction of the virus as a result of their filter, but from the electrostatic charge...
Really? I don't use N95 masks (as I wrote, I'm in the EU), but I would have thought that it is a filtration classification and the standard doesn't care how exactly it was achieved as long as performance was met. There are quite a few ways you can build a filter. Respirators I use certainly don't require recharging for reuse (manufacturer did submit samples for testing that underwent repeated sterilization using the recommended procedure, just in case customers needed to reuse their respirators).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview