News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Exynos 2200, Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, and MediaTek Dimensity 9000 may all run hot

Started by Redaktion, January 02, 2022, 10:51:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Gaming tests of the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 have seen the Qualcomm flagship SoC struggle with efficiency and thermals. It appears those issues may not be specific to the Qualcomm chipset, however, with word on the grapevine possibly hinting at similar pitfalls with the Exynos 2200 and MediaTek Dimensity 9000 to a lesser extent.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Exynos-2200-Snapdragon-8-Gen-1-and-MediaTek-Dimensity-9000-may-all-run-hot.589466.0.html

opelit12

Sooo, lets wait for Snapdragon 7 gen 1, and that what I will do. Hopefully I get an Sony phone with one. Can even be 6 gen 1

Sorin

The A510 is a joke with only ~30% performance uplift in 10 years (compared to A53). Apple's Blizzard little cores are on par with A76 big cores in performance.

dudewhat

D9000 is on TSMC N4 which is miles ahead Samsung N4.
If you would've bothered to look more into it (Golden Reviewer's tests, and some other), you would've discovered that D9000 is more tons more efficient than the SD 8G1 in all scenarios and also more efficient than the A15. The X2 in D9000 manages to absolutely destroy 8G1's X2, +10% perf, +40% efficiency.

This "8G1" hot'n'loud is partly due to ARM creating abysmal core designs but also due to a bad node.

Crowl

Quote from: opelit12 on January 02, 2022, 11:16:37
Sooo, lets wait for Snapdragon 7 gen 1, and that what I will do. Hopefully I get an Sony phone with one. Can even be 6 gen 1

That naming convention is going to be horrible if they try and apply it to the lower tier SoCs since they release more than one a year with those.

BarryGoldwater

Quote from: Sorin on January 02, 2022, 11:56:16
The A510 is a joke with only ~30% performance uplift in 10 years (compared to A53). Apple's Blizzard little cores are on par with A76 big cores in performance.

Apple's Blizzard "little" cores are also the size of an A76 big core...

They aren't the same.

8&8

Is only me or exist others to desire new processors at same performance of previous or old generations at 888 level but new arch& node to reduce consume and increase ratio perf/consume?  ::)

Why consume more power from battery, increase performance in a phone? Nobody is using to develop games or using CAD! Just for multitasking browsing and playing games.

ChrisGX

Golden Reviewer is not infallible and not everything he says squares with what other reviewers are saying. The Mandarin speaking reviewers - Geekerwan and Xiaobai's Tech Reviews - give accounts that are mainly in line with what Golden Reviewer has to say on performance but paint a very different picture of energy efficiency of CPU cores and GPU. Anandtech, too, has presented a preliminary report on the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. That report, like the reports by the already mentioned reviewers, again presents a picture that is at odds (in some ways) to Golden Reviewer's particular take on that SoC.

Personally, I will be eagerly awaiting the more extended report from Anandtech on the premium Android SoCs coming in 2022. I don't doubt that these SoCs will run hot, though. SoCs based on ARM licensed IP have been at the power consumption limit since early 2019 and SoC manufacturers just keep pushing power requirements up (with new 'non-core' processing unit logic) without any corresponding power savings on the CPU or GPU. Samsung's silicon process nodes have also underperformed. Problematic thermals and power consumption was always going to be the likely result.

Apple, for its part, even as it pushes forward on performance seems to get notable gains in energy efficiency from generation to generation. Apple's A series processors, so far, have kept thermals under control but these mobile SoCs, once again, push power consumption to the limit for a small form factor device.

LOL

Let's wait and see what happens in the real tests.

Too much focus has been placed on how well the phone does when playing one of those graphics intensive games at max settings which few will ever do, and not on power efficiency (battery life) and thermal dissipation.

Yielar

How about we wait for the big players to release their flagship phones instead of basing an opinion off of what Motorola has done trying to rush their phone out ahead of everyone else. Motorola isn't exactly known for solid performance flagships. I'm curious to see how the S22 Ultra performs once released and has it's first update. Will most likely have a copper vapour chamber and invested in actual high performance engineering which also needs to incorporate cutting edge cooling when running at max performance.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview