News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Tweaked Intel Core i7-12800H threatens Apple M1 Max power in new Razer Blade 15 (2022) Geekbench runs

Started by Redaktion, December 24, 2021, 04:17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Alder Lake Intel Core i7-12800H has surfaced on Geekbench once again, this time inside a 2022 Razer Blade 15 laptop. The powerful hybrid chip, which can count on 14 cores and 20 threads, produced results that blow past its predecessors and AMD rivals, with the i7-12800H able to square off directly against the all-powerful Apple M1 Max.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tweaked-Intel-Core-i7-12800H-threatens-Apple-M1-Max-power-in-new-Razer-Blade-15-2022-Geekbench-runs.588654.0.html

Elior Hallo

What about power draw? As things are now, windows PCs require being plugged in to just be able to match the M1 max...

AnonimHammer

Elior clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about

There are laptops that could match M1 Max performance on battery. The problem is they started to throttle down halfway through its battery capacity, while Apple lets its system plow through even with half the battery capacity.

Next time, be more informed about windows laptops.

gggeek

I agree with both Elior and AnonimHammer: power management is, in this day and age, the biggest issue with 99% of laptops - basically all except "workstation class" ones, which are still large enough to have sufficient heat dissipation.
No one wants to operate a laptop with deafening fans on - and no one wants a laptop with a battery lasting less than a full working day, or one that reaches peak performance in 10 seconds and then throttles to half of it in 15, either.

I propose that, going forward, we forego any testing based on peak mobile cpu performance, and replace those with cpu-per-watt and cpu-per-decibel figures.

We have some evidence to predict the power consumption of Alder lake-P. Some of them are listed below

a. Chinese youtuber 'geekerwan' reports a Cinebench R23 score of 14288 when 12900K is limited to 35W. According to him, eight E-Cores will score 7336 at 17.3W.

b. A Japanese Twitter user reports that in the best of several measurements, the Cinebench R15 score is 1845 when the 12600K is limited to 45W, and 1102 at 15W. This is a realistic hint to predict the performance of the i7-12650H.

c. For processes that are less demanding than gaming, Alder lake consumes less power than its Ryzen competitors. In other words, it records better performance-per-Watts.

d. On Tiger lake, the lower limit of cTDP was shown as the nominal TDP; on Alder lake, the upper limit of cTDP is often shown as the nominal TDP.

Based on these information, it is very likely that at least some of the leaked information that this site has been dealing with so far was achieved with power consumption as per nominal TDP, at least the Cinebench results.

Rapsync

It is frustrating to see that in today's day and age reviewers are still hung up on CPU performance soley. Take a more holistic and nuanced approach by comparing the ratios, most importantly performance to power which in my opinion is the holy grail of measuring improvements. Please stop this fetish with CPU performance

Supra Max

There are laptops that could match M1 Max performance on battery. The problem is they started to throttle down halfway through its battery capacity, while Apple lets its system plow through even with half the battery capacity.

For over 21 hours?!?

Mac M1 SoC decimates Windows on battery life, power and performance ratios—with no heat and no throttling. You are living in a fantasy.

Supra Max

AnonimHammer: Elior clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about. There are laptops that could match M1 Max performance on battery. The problem is they started to throttle down halfway through its battery capacity, while Apple lets its system plow through even with half the battery capacity. Next time, be more informed about windows laptops.[/color]

Boy, your comment didn't age well. Time has borne out the exact opposite of what you stated. Intel Windows machines throttle due to high temperature, they gulp down power, and they overheat.

This was the very rationale for Apple to develop their chips in the first place, drawing from their class-leading A-series SoC architecture that powers the iPhone.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview