News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Crypto influencer shares video of hundreds of GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Editions in a mining farm, despite a worsening global GPU shortage

Started by Redaktion, December 17, 2021, 23:07:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

In the midst of a GPU supply crisis that's seen consumer GPU prices soar by 300 percent or more, crypto influencer @jaxson_davidson shared a video in which he shows off a mining farm with hundreds upon hundreds of GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition GPUs, all apparently sourced off-market, directly by him from NVIDIA, raising questions about the underlying reasons for today's GPU price inflation.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Crypto-influencer-shares-video-of-hundreds-of-GeForce-RTX-3070-Founders-Editions-in-a-mining-farm-despite-a-worsening-global-GPU-shortage.586940.0.html

AsmodeusX

NobodyCanGet Juan

I went through their online chat and literally begged them to sell me a replacement card or put me in some kind of queue.

Got a "sorry, can't help you."
I won't pay more than MSRP and at this point in the release cycle, I should be getting a discount on MSRP.

Despicable.

Alex_43

Didn't Nvidia told us fairy tales about their path to fight against crypto miners earlier this year? Implementing some protection into their drivers and cards to stop mining?
At the same time they're selling cards directly to miners...
Nvidia, duck you!

Gasek

I don't understand people, in this case gamers. They want a free market but when the market is finally free, they complain.

Nvidia is just doing what any Corp will do. Sell as much as they can to whoever benefits them the most. In this case it was a very easy choice, even if it is at a discount, while selling whatever is left, at an increased price.

You boys didn't learn how the "free market" works at school?

Jacksonmchealth

The worst part is, how did this even benefit Nvidia?

This special bulk deal obviously means the miner received these cards for a lower price.

But Nvidia could have sold every one of these cards to retailers just as easily, for more money. Every last 3070 was going to sell anyway.

Mind blown

Well nvidia would need sombody to setup there mining operations...
Because you know they have them!
In turn he got all the cards his heart deaires.
Hes printing money with there tech so obviously they would want in on the hype.
As far as crpto,,, its a "faith" currency & things like this can really strip you of your faith.

Jacksonmchealth

Quote from: Gasek on December 18, 2021, 11:08:51
I don't understand people, in this case gamers. They want a free market but when the market is finally free, they complain.

Nvidia is just doing what any Corp will do. Sell as much as they can to whoever benefits them the most. In this case it was a very easy choice, even if it is at a discount, while selling whatever is left, at an increased price.

You boys didn't learn how the "free market" works at school?

It's funny how to some the term "free market" seems to mean fairness, honoring what you say and other basic ethics just don't matter anymore.

Jump to the front of the line, exploit every loophole to take as much as you can at everyone else's expense. That is exploitation of the market, not exercising the market.

Everyone under 30 these days needs to hear this: Being free does not simply mean anything goes. Being an adult doesn't even mean just do whatever you want. Quite the opposite.

The saddest part is how much technology has now enabled the 1% who literally don't know what ethics are to now disrupt like 90% of a healthy market, with literally no way to limit the extent of their damage. Amd just had an online sale a couple days ago, the cards were sold out in minutes - while you waited in a 1 hour queue you could literally watch the bot websites acquiring the cards I heard. That is not how a "free market" behaves.

Jacksonmchealth

If BestBuy has a door crasher sale, and i show up with a bulldozer, butt into the line and rumble off with a shovel full of 100 units while everyone else stands there like a fool, is that just me exercising my "free market" rights? Because that's exactly what is happening online.

Justaguy

This is pretty despicable. One of many other reasons for me to not invest in energy/computation hungry crypto. Looks like I can add amd and nvidia to the list of do not invest. Hopefully intel comes through with some awesome gpus here next year and plays the 'other side' of the free market with increased competition and lower prices.

michael brannan

To the last comment... It took AMD forever to catch up to nvidia. But I guess we can hope Intel can do it and is ethically better. I won't hold my breath l.

"I hope he dies a slow agonizing death". While a little harsh... Global not giving a f*** is sure seeming like it's going to lead to a slow, painful, hot as f*** death for all.

It really sucks that Bitcoin was and continues to be such a power hungry coin. So many better crypto coins to use.

I wonder if Nvidia made the deal and asked him for x% of the bitcoins he mines.
Or it was their test run of setting up their own massive farm.

"Sorry, GPU shortage!!" ... But definitely not because we're just using them all, or doing some shady 3rd party ebay selling for an insane markup.

I just want to upgrade my GTX 760 :(

wau

Yeah, this isn't super unheard of. After working for a subsidiary of a company, I worked in a warehouse with industrial shelves full of them. Unboxing for upgraded prebuilts, prebuilts with otherwise 'eh' parts. The cards would be individually unboxed and organized onto carts with about 700 per rack, and all I could think was "I'm getting paid $100 a day to make these people c. $200,000 a day in future sales, equating to about 13k profit for that subsidiary per day.

Derek

Nvidia isn't likely breaking any laws by selling directly to miners and i'm not sure there is even an 'ethics' issue.  But it sure is a slap in the face to the very customers who provided 90%+ of their revenue for decades.  And that historic customer base is certainly entitled to consider the company's practices when making their next purchase.

Simeon Arsov

Quote from: Derek on December 18, 2021, 19:38:03
Nvidia isn't likely breaking any laws by selling directly to miners and i'm not sure there is even an 'ethics' issue.  But it sure is a slap in the face to the very customers who provided 90%+ of their revenue for decades.  And that historic customer base is certainly entitled to consider the company's practices when making their next purchase.
Yes, you are absolutely right. But, you know in China how child labor isnt frowned upon and legal? Im sure all those apple watch assemblers and sweatshops assembly's arent  breaking the law as well. Its not an excuse.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview