News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft updates the long-running Windows Media Player

Started by Redaktion, November 18, 2021, 20:23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft has announced that the Groove Media app will be replaced by a new Media Player developed for Windows 11. The new software will allow playback of both music and video files in a well-organised library. Windows Insiders can test the new program from the Dev Channel.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-updates-the-long-running-Windows-Media-Player.580004.0.html

Barebooh

Dude, I...
This is in NO WAY a replacement for WMP; isn't intended to be;
and! WMP will continue to be offered side-by-side - as an On-Demand feature.
This is a "Movies & TV" app + "Groove Music" replacement. Yes, they're trashing those again. WMP stands tall & strong, while brown interns keep re-writing their own garbage ad nauseum. Life goes on.

Hunter2020

Windows video player on Win 10 is actually a killer feature because it makes the battery last twice as long than VLC player or any other 3rd party app.  Where it sucks is it doesn't have all the codecs that VLC player has.  I cringe whenver I need VLC to play an MKv file bcause I know my tabs battery will last half as long.  So long as the new WMP can play all MKV files, I will look forward to using it!

mikealli

Quote from: Hunter2020 on November 19, 2021, 14:18:02
Windows video player on Win 10 is actually a killer feature because it makes the battery last twice as long than VLC player or any other 3rd party app.  Where it sucks is it doesn't have all the codecs that VLC player has.  I cringe whenver I need VLC to play an MKv file bcause I know my tabs battery will last half as long.  So long as the new WMP can play all MKV files, I will look forward to using it!

Try using Shark 007 Codec pack and WMP - it prolonged battery life compared to VLC on old Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet. Only thing is - you may have try different Shark settings that work best for you (or rather formats).
When I had slow laptop (some Medion, then HP from 2013), VLC was choppy and I found those codecs to work best (K-Lite or others had performance issues akin to VLC).
I assume that after 4 years this codec pack got ironed out of some bugs that I've encountered.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview