News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 G4 laptop review: Success with Vapor-Chamber & GeForce RTX 3070

Started by Redaktion, November 11, 2021, 15:00:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We have already tested the base model of the ThinkPad P1 G4, and now we have the second test: The workstation offshoot of the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme G4 achieves a much better CPU performance with a drilled-out cooling system. At the same time, we test the 16-inch WQUXGA LCD in 16:10 format.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-G4-laptop-review-Success-with-Vapor-Chamber-GeForce-RTX-3070.576820.0.html

_MT_

Surely you mean WQXGA (2560×1600), right? QHD is 16:9 (2560×1440) and it's TV marketing terminology (SD/ HD/ FHD/ whatever nonsense) rather than proper geek speak. ;)

Adrian W

QuoteWe had to restart the ThinkPad laptop very often. The reason was graphics errors that sometimes occurred after standby; the entire picture was then covered with black and white stripes. Since this error did not occur in the first test model, we assume it is a singular problem of this test device.

I just received a ThinkPad Extreme Gen 4 with the same problem. And someone on Reddit reported it as well.

Awaiting a response from Lenovo Support.

Konstantinos

I really don't understand why Lenovo keeps using these Intel powerhogs CPUs instead of ryzen with better thermals, lower consumption and better sustained performance...

Intel is infamous for making "agreements" under the table with the manufacturers that hold them by the balls... I guess this is another example of this...

caiges

I had the same display problem after waking my x1e gen 4 from sleep. Turning on HDR resolved this issue for me. Also of note, the graphical issues upon waking do not present under Linux. Lastly, the 3060 x1e model also has a vapor chamber.

Diogene

What a nice surprise this good and professional review.
I definitely go to get the P1 as a mobile WS with the i9 and the 3080 with the 3860x2400 screen.
The presence of the Thunderbolt 4 is also damn important for audio visual usage. Thanks for your work

pelican-freeze

For those who commented about display corruption issues after waking for sleep - were you able to resolve these issues or receive a response from Lenovo support?

Have a loaded P1 with i9, 3080 & 4K UHD+ screen I picked up during cyberweek on its way and hoping that enough of the initial hardware qc / software quicks have been resolved that I'll actually be able to keep it and rely on it as my primary machine.

interested-buyer

gibi72

Having had a P1 gen2 with i9 for some time here.
Really struggling with poor performance due to improper cooling, sometimes  throttle is so bad that I think my x1 can gen5 is not that slower.
I see that Lenovo put some serious effort on this.
But I think I will not buy another thin and light workstation again for some time. Not with current intel CPUs anyway (12th gen very good, but cooling is needed).

I am a bit disappointed by Lenovo support with that:I have premium support and reported this issue. I would have liked them to offer an upgrade to some better machine for a reasonable amount, but I am not going to pay 3,000 for a fresh new one like that

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview