News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple iPhone 13 mini in review: Powerful and ultracompact

Started by Redaktion, October 27, 2021, 00:21:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The iPhone 13 mini offers the same hardware as the big iPhone 13 but in a much smaller phone. Read on to find out whether there are any other differences.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPhone-13-mini-in-review-Powerful-and-ultracompact.575013.0.html

Hi,

Congratulations on yet another very detailed and helpful review. I have one question though:
How is it that the 13 mini has a lower, although marginal, grade than the 12 mini (89,7% vs. 89,8 respectively) despite having improved on such important areas as the cameras, display and especially battery life, the Achilles heel of the previous model? The entire review points in that direction and makes you (me at least) think that it will surpass the 12 mini and become the best compact phone, but then the final rate doesn't. I understand that a phone (or anything really) has to be analysed in it's context, and more so in technology, where everything  evolves so fast. So it is possible that a better phone rates lower than it's predecessor just because it has been released one year later. But does this mean that the IPhone 13 mini isn't a better phone in 2021 than the 12 mini was in 2020? I don't think so, the "general review community" (if there is such a thing) doesn't think so, and more importantly, your own reviews, other than the rating, doesn't seem to think so either.
Can you clarify this question for me?
Thanks!
Best regards,

Matt.Felix

I bought the 13 mini thinking it would actually have decent battery life and frankly, I'm quite disappointed so far.

Half way thought the day, I've got 3 hours of screen time which, consisting of a mostly web browsing, a few minutes of navigation and a few public transport apps. The battery is now at 50% and it was fully charged this morning and I'm turning wifi off when leaving the house. This is consistent with my experience during other days where I'll get about 5 hours of screen time before my phone will die or have below 10% charge. This isn't anywhere near the levels I was expecting.

Is this normal behavior others are observing as well or am I holding it wrong?

Vali

Nevertheless, the display is almost a bit too small.
I find this line to be a bit out of place, I mean IT IS the mini, you kind of know what you are getting into, there are hundreds of other screen options out there on the market, there is only this one to be small and interesting. You are judging it for being to small, I call bs and tell you I'm pissed it's too big, since it's bigger than the 5 and the original SE, form factors that I loved.  :)

NikoB

On ixbt.com/mobile/apple-iphone-13-iphone-13-mini-review.html the author of this russian review assures that there is a constant PWM frequency at ~480Hz, and at low brightness, the harm to the eyes increases sharply (a clearly visible strobe effect, with rapid eye movement), since the signal amplitude at the PWM frequency also increases sharply.

The authors on this site assure that dc-dimming is used at below 15% brightness, and above 15% the PWM frequency starts at 152Hz and reaches 510Hz at maximum brightness.

Which one of you guys is right?

I also want to note that,
If dc-dimming is used below 15% in brightness (and these are exactly the levels at which movies and TV shows are usually watched, enjoying the "infinite" contrast in complete darkness, because in ambient light there is no infinite contrast on AMOLED, they are not much better, or even worse than that of good IPS), then the bit color drops sharply there and obvious banding appears, this is inevitable, but the author kept silent about it. Why?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview