News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 17 9710 with RTX 3060 Laptop GPU shows Geekbench OpenCL supremacy over M1 Max-powered Apple MacBook Pro 16, but Apple silicon still has the efficiency advantage

Started by Redaktion, October 22, 2021, 20:47:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Several Geekbench OpenCL listings of new M1 Max-powered Apple MacBook Pros are now available. In one such comparison with a Dell XPS 17 9710 laptop powered by the Core i7-11800H and an RTX 3060 Laptop GPU, the RTX 3060 seems to have a 51% advantage over Apple's offering. However, Apple's implementation is able to achieve the present score at a much lower power consumption compared to the XPS 17 9710.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-17-9710-with-RTX-3060-Laptop-GPU-shows-Geekbench-OpenCL-supremacy-over-M1-Max-powered-Apple-MacBook-Pro-16-but-Apple-silicon-still-has-the-efficiency-advantage.574451.0.html

kek

but then when you take into account that the XPS cost half what that M1 Config costs + you are able to upgrade ram after buying it, seems seem to make the XPS look like the better option.

Tridents

2 problems with this point of view!
1) OpenCL is deprecated in macOS, Apple hasn't updated the technology for its systems for many years
2) We still don't know if that scoring is actually for 32-core GPU or 24-core GPU, because Geekbench hasn't been reporting that info correctly in other MacBooks with the M1 (an 7-core GPU is seen by geekbench as an 8-core). The score is actually closer to what would be expected for the a 24-core GPU.

This to say that the M1 Max should actually perform better, probably very close to the RTX 3060 laptop.

Greg

LOL, OMG, a daily high end discreet GPU is faster than a built-in one.  Did anyone bother to check out the same benchmarks but for multi-core?  The M1 max blows the Dell AWAY.  12526 for the M1 vs 8100 for the Dell.

Drum roll please, that is a whopping 56% faster.  Sorry Dell.  Sorry misleading article

ariliquin

And then there is the real world tests starting to come out where FPS is compared from M1 to laptop and desktop RTX cards, and the M1 is faster than the RTX 3080 laptop for 80% of the tests. It's too early to come to any conclsions, but it's nice click bate. Thanks for keeping us hooked, next article, Amazing M1 beats 3080 blah blah, next article Disappointing M1 slower than 1050, next article, amazing M1 render blender in world record time for laptop Blah blah blah. Lol

julian cardich

According to your numbers, the difference is about 100x(1-60/90) = 33%, not 150%. This is in agreement with the ~30% lower power consumption of the M1 max, thus, I conclude that the compared laptops are of about the same performance.

Greg

nice cope in comments from apple fanboys. Apple did indeed claimed that their product will be faster than laptop 3080 GPU and a bit slower than unlocked TDP version.

And now it all turns to be lies coz they cant keep up with RTX 3060 laptop - price point of 800$. I'm salty as well coz i wanted to get M1 max but after news that keep coming I'm not going to pay for overpriced piece of crap.

Its over for apple

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview