News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K retail all P-core 5.2 GHz overclock manages miniscule multi-core lead over stock Ryzen 9 5950X but guzzles 330 W

Started by Redaktion, October 21, 2021, 06:35:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

An Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K retail sample was tested with an all-P-core overclock to 5.2 GHz in CPU-Z and the results compared to a stock AMD Ryzen 9 5950X. The results show good leads in single-thread and a marginal lead in multi-thread performance, but this comes at a 330 W power consumption cost.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Alder-Lake-Core-i9-12900K-retail-all-P-core-5-2-GHz-overclock-manages-miniscule-multi-core-lead-over-stock-Ryzen-9-5950X-but-guzzles-330-W.574058.0.html

asfsdf

Intel still needs that delicious EUV applied to many layers for beautiful sharp traces and thus comparable power consumption to TSMC's 7N (but it's more expensive and Intel still wants that huge, unfair (customers get shittier chips), profit). Needless to say I buy AMD / chips made by quality EUV lithography applied to many layers like TSMC does it.

Wild9

So let me see. I should buy a 16-core 24-thread processor to brag about a slight increase in single-core performance over the competition and practically negligable multi-core throughout. Oh, and apparently I should expect a HUGE energy draw to boot.

Forget it. AMD is also onto the next iteration of Ryzen; it's not like Bulldozer where we had an inferior approach clutching at straws playing catch-up. AMD is aiming higher and further than this. Let's also remember that AMD has nowhere near the resources of Intel.

Then there's gaming. Most games are already GPU-limited especially when running at 4K. What possible gain can a boiler of a CPU offer that will be practical, and affordable?

It is my opinion that any lead Intel has here including minor, will be short-lived. AMD is already aiming to hit above this weight.

My only gripe is pricing and availability. If I was AMD I'd release a Ryzen 5600 maybe even with that extra cache and all at a stellar prices (£229). Keep the think unlocked and let it clock to oblivion. Pair it with a decent mid-range GPU and boomshanka: somthing most people can afford, and is available, and offers plenty of extra oomph given a better cooler.

So in short. What does Intel offer here either itself or AMD doesn't already offer? I am simply not going to buy a huge PSU just to brag about single-threaded superiority because in real terms I've won and still lost.

Aaron M

Perhaps I am in the minority, and it's not being said.. It has taken Intel almost 4 generation of processors to catch up to AMD 5000 series. So even if the 12th Gen has better numbers, its not necessarily a win. All AMD has to do is lower prices. Now imagine when AMD releases their next Gen CPU's.

Blitz22

Quote from: Aaron M on October 22, 2021, 02:34:41
Perhaps I am in the minority, and it's not being said.. It has taken Intel almost 4 generation of processors to catch up to AMD 5000 series. So even if the 12th Gen has better numbers, its not necessarily a win. All AMD has to do is lower prices. Now imagine when AMD releases their next Gen CPU's.

What? 4 generations? 5000 series came AFTER the 10th gen, and this is the 12th gen.
Don't forget before 5000, amd would easily get destroyed for gaming by intel and was the value pick.

Yikes, there should be a limit on how much one fanboys for a company lmao

But still,330W on a consumer cpu is crazy

Russel

Quote from: Blitz22 on October 22, 2021, 05:34:11
Quote from: Aaron M on October 22, 2021, 02:34:41

What? 4 generations? 5000 series came AFTER the 10th gen, and this is the 12th gen.
Don't forget before 5000, amd would easily get destroyed for gaming by intel and was the value pick.

Yikes, there should be a limit on how much one fanboys for a company lmao

But still,330W on a consumer cpu is crazy

Well. Intel hasn't exactly been lagging before Zen 2. Zen+ was still amd playing catch up.
But everything since Skylake has been the same.. So yes, there was total lack of innovation.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview