News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The MacBook Pro 14 arrives with unrivalled performance, more ports, endless configurability, a 120 Hz display, and a notch

Started by Redaktion, October 19, 2021, 02:55:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple has lifted the lid on the long-rumoured 14-inch MacBook Pro. The new screen size coincides with an overhaul of the MacBook Pro series, with more ports, a flatter design and a mini LED display. The latter has slim bezels, 1,000 sustained brightness and runs at 120 Hz. It also has a notch, within which its 1080p webcam sits.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-MacBook-Pro-14-arrives-with-unrivalled-performance-more-ports-endless-configurability-a-120-Hz-display-and-a-notch.573819.0.html

Jesse

LL

kony

Endless configurability? So I can finally replace RAM, SSD and more to whatever I like? Wow, that's a wonderful news!   8) I will consider macs again!

Noah

"unrivaled performance" but m1 pro gets slaughtered by 33% by Ryzen 7 laptop... My setup is 144hz screen, Ryzen 7 5800H, 16gb ram, rtx 3070. Paid $1270... To be even close you would be at almost 3k for a MacBook pro and still couldn't game.... Friggin joke 😂

vertigo

Normally, I'd think this is an example of a company making a product too good, driving the cost up too much and ending up destroying sales due to becoming too expensive. But this is Apple, and people will pay for it regardless, because it's Apple. Sure, I'd love to have such a powerful and efficient laptop, but it's not worth 2-3+ times as much as a PC laptop that's still comparable, not to mention not locked into the Apple ecosystem. And I agree with the anti-notch sentiments. I don't see how that's not going to be in the way when watching videos or gaming, plus I prefer a shutter.

Quote from: kony on October 19, 2021, 06:18:15
Endless configurability? So I can finally replace RAM, SSD and more to whatever I like? Wow, that's a wonderful news!   8) I will consider macs again!

Except you can't get an M1 Max with 32GB RAM, so not quite "endless." I wonder if that means you can only get 64GB, or if it jumps from 16 to 64, as the article doesn't bother being clear on that point (why spend time being complete?).

That's just me

What kind of display are we talking about here? IPS or OLED? What colour space does it cover - Adobe RGB, DCI-P3 ...?

Gandir

I don't think Apple fully have given the numbers for the screen when it comes to DCI P3 but I would guess around at least 95%.

And its a MiniLED that have 1000 nits normal brightness and 1600 nits maxium brightness. That whops OLED a lot, and don't need to worry about "burn in"

Only really downside with MiniLED compared to OLED is the possibility of blooming but as a pro screen its a lot better than an OLED instead. You get very extremly good contrast and you get bright and very accurate HDR compare to a OLED.

Gandir

Quote from: Noah on October 19, 2021, 07:26:14
"unrivaled performance" but m1 pro gets slaughtered by 33% by Ryzen 7 laptop... My setup is 144hz screen, Ryzen 7 5800H, 16gb ram, rtx 3070. Paid $1270... To be even close you would be at almost 3k for a MacBook pro and still couldn't game.... Friggin joke 😂

Sure you can get a PC cheaper with a bad quality gaming laptop that is very true. But you cannot compare these Macbooks Pro's with that segment since it silly.

Compare it against what it's meant to compare to a Dell XPS 17 and the Macbook is the same price and even a bit lower.

On top of that look at the amount of speed you get per W, and try to run the PC you are talking about on battery power.

Will you get 17 hours of actual onscreen time watching movies? Will you have a near to fan less computer experience?

And on top fo that is the Macbook Pro built for games ? No it's not its built to be a solid computer for professional use like Video editing, where it will run circles around your Ryzen gaming machine.

How many times you even try to compare an Apple to a Pear it will not work. Compare a cheap gaming laptop even if the laptop have a 144hz screen the quality of the screen will not even get close to what apple have. Do your laptop screen blast 1600 Nits in peak? Or come close to 1000nits in general use?

Of course it does not, not even close you can probably hardly reach 300nits.

CPU wise the Ryzen is a lot slower than the Macbook M1 Pro and Max, since you need to take in consideration that you have a lot of AI compute power as well as CPU power. Do you have that in a Ryzen? No you don't have that in a Ryzen.

To sum it up the Mac will crush anything on the PC front that is designed to be a pro computer, that blance power usage with speed and general hardware quality that should last long. So no Apple is not lying in what they are saying, but the computer is not built for gaming and MacOS does not have much games to start with. But will it be capable to game, that it will be it will be compete with a RTX 3060 in the Pro chip and the Max chip will go beyond that so it can game if you want to it.

Gandir

Quote from: vertigo on October 19, 2021, 08:02:33
Normally, I'd think this is an example of a company making a product too good, driving the cost up too much and ending up destroying sales due to becoming too expensive. But this is Apple, and people will pay for it regardless, because it's Apple. Sure, I'd love to have such a powerful and efficient laptop, but it's not worth 2-3+ times as much as a PC laptop that's still comparable, not to mention not locked into the Apple ecosystem. And I agree with the anti-notch sentiments. I don't see how that's not going to be in the way when watching videos or gaming, plus I prefer a shutter.

Quote from: kony on October 19, 2021, 06:18:15

Except you can't get an M1 Max with 32GB RAM, so not quite "endless." I wonder if that means you can only get 64GB, or if it jumps from 16 to 64, as the article doesn't bother being clear on that point (why spend time being complete?).

The M1 Max you can get with 32GB or 64GB of ram. So either you get 4x8GB or 4 x16GB modules and that is well extremely fast memory.

16GB ram om the M1 Max would not make any sense thou since the CPU and GPU share the memory it would be to much of a bottleneck.

LL

@That's just me

MiniLED    1000  nits. it is a top screen, only some PC's have that.

Some Acer Predator and a couple others i don't have the manufacturer here.

Search for miniLED

VaruLV

Quote from: vertigo on October 19, 2021, 08:02:33And I agree with the anti-notch sentiments. I don't see how that's not going to be in the way when watching videos or gaming, plus I prefer a shutter.
Notch could be an issue when watching images in some aspect ratios in full screen. However in regards to videos - when was the last time you were watching anything without black bars top-bottom?
I do believe that notch makes more sense on a laptop than it does on an iPhone.

Tridents

Quote from: Noah on October 19, 2021, 07:26:14

don't know what kind of laptop you have but a Ryzen 7 5800H only gives around 8000-8500 in Geekbench 5.4. You are probably making some big confusion

vertigo

Quote from: Gandir on October 19, 2021, 09:03:36

The M1 Max you can get with 32GB or 64GB of ram. So either you get 4x8GB or 4 x16GB modules and that is well extremely fast memory.

16GB ram om the M1 Max would not make any sense thou since the CPU and GPU share the memory it would be to much of a bottleneck.

In that case, the article was wrong. Not sure which is true.

Quote from: VaruLV on October 19, 2021, 17:54:56
Quote from: vertigo on October 19, 2021, 08:02:33And I agree with the anti-notch sentiments. I don't see how that's not going to be in the way when watching videos or gaming, plus I prefer a shutter.
Notch could be an issue when watching images in some aspect ratios in full screen. However in regards to videos - when was the last time you were watching anything without black bars top-bottom?
I do believe that notch makes more sense on a laptop than it does on an iPhone.

On a daily basis. Almost all content I watch on my laptop is 16:9, and it's a 16:9 screen. I also watch 4:3 content. Very rarely do I watch 2.35:1 on a laptop, and that would be the only time there would be black bars. Also, games. So I definitely think the notch would be extremely noticeable and annoying much of the time.

I'd argue it makes less sense on a laptop, where you have larger bezels that can house the camera. On a phone, space is much more limited, so a bezel is, and has always been since bezels got thin enough to not be able to house cameras anymore, a necessary compromise. Very few laptops have bezels so extremely thin they couldn't hold a camera and would need a notch on the display instead. And, as mentioned in this article, there's enough room on the bezel here for one. They just chose to use a notch instead. Maybe they had a good reason, maybe they did it just because they're Apple and they thought it'd look cool (I'm betting on the latter). Regardless, IMHO it would have been much better to find a way to fit it into the bezel.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview