News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple iMac 24 M1 2021 in review: Does Apple's M1 SoC also convince in the desktop?

Started by Redaktion, October 18, 2021, 16:22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple now also uses its own M1 processor for the iMac. The new model with a 23.5-inch 4.5K Retina display replaces the previous 21.5-inch model and is available in many different colors. In the test, the desktop computer convinces in many areas, only the loud cooling is a surprise.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iMac-24-M1-2021-in-review-Does-Apple-s-M1-SoC-also-convince-in-the-desktop.573710.0.html

Ish

For the price you could get an MBA M1, or MBP M1, and an external monitor, and have a setup that is actually practical: grab the laptop on the go, plugin to the monitor when you are not. Really not sure why this thing exists.

alfredlordbleep

Question for Ish---but where do I find a Retina quality monitor at the pricing you are pitching? (Yeah, I pass on this iMac due to loud cooling!)

Panagiotis_2310

I read in the article about loud cooling system and I have to say that is absolutely not true. I own the whole series of M1 chipset (MacBook, iPad, Mac mini) and i can guarantee that for 8 months I have never heard the fan once time...not even in complete silence room. iMac M1 is silent as dead....exactly as Mac mini M1. Probably the most silent desktop choice I have ever use (including Windows PC with watercooling solutions). Also you haven't mention in the article that the base model (7core GPU) has different cooling system than the most expensive one (8cores GPU/4ports etc.).

Kex

Quote from: Panagiotis_2310 on December 26, 2022, 13:20:13I read in the article about loud cooling system and I have to say that is absolutely not true...

I have to agree with you. I just bought an M1 iMac as new old stock to compare with my Mac mini. One of the first tasks was to run a Unigine Heaven benchmark, and even under stress during the test, the iMac remained completely silent.

This is the base model, however, and the review does state that the base model includes only one fan, whereas the higher options included two fans.

However, running the same test on a 2019 MacBook Pro causes the fans to spin up quite high.

• Intel 2.3 GHz 8 core i9
  • 16GB RAM
  • Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB GPU (max option)

The MBP when new would have cost about $2,800+tax. The iMac would have cost about $1,300+tax.

So I think it's a very good desktop option. However, the Intel based MBP does still much higher in the benchmark (over 2X better).

Compared with the Mac mini, the biggest difference is the screen. I don't know where I would purchase a 24" monitor of this quality, with such good speakers, and how much it would cost.

lmao

Quote from: Kex on March 01, 2024, 19:14:34However, the Intel based MBP does still much higher in the benchmark (over 2X better).
m1 imac wasn't intended to compete with mbp, 2021 mbp were intender to steamroll 2019 mbp
m3 imacs most probably can mop the floor with that i9 of yours too

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview