News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New World MMO: Amazon officially blames GPU manufacturers for bricked graphics cards

Started by Redaktion, October 09, 2021, 00:54:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

In an official statement, Amazon puts all the blame on the manufacturers of graphics cards, who are supposedly responsible for manufacturing defects that caused the bricked GPUs of New World players.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-World-MMO-Amazon-officially-blames-GPU-manufacturers-for-bricked-graphics-cards.570538.0.html

Dan Ridenhour

Jumping in the way back machine I remember there being a rumor that the 8088's registers could be pushed to the melting point.  Friends and I spent more than a little time writing and running assembly apps to do just that that.  Never did burn one out though.   In general software shouldn't be able to destroy hardware. 

Although in todays world its possible...  A weird interaction between microsoft / intel automatic firmware updates combined with nvidia on some dell motherboards could cause the computer to brick with corrupted firmware.   Happened to my XPS 27 and while dell explained the issue their solution was 'buy a new dell'...  so I haven't bought one since.  lol.

Lucas

There was a case like that with Age of Wonders 3, but they actually worked to fix it and they did it. If Amazon doesn't want to lose face they better work with GPU manufacturers on identifyimg the issue as the problem may be on both sides as there are cases of non-evga cards going dead or burning. I feel that until their sponsored streamers start losing hardware nothing will be done.,

William Reese

It's not a matter of actually corrupting the corrupting
Firmware.  There is a class in the code of the game that allows certain gpu's to run at all above their set wattage.  Several people have done good tests showing this issue, where a card was manually set to use only 80%of its actual max wattage, but when the game is launched it is consistently calling for 120%+ of the cards max wattage.  Dropping the cards settings down as low as 30-40% had the game still using well over 75% of the cards power.  This issue seems considerably less with lower wattage cards, which is why only the high end ones seem to be effected.

There may be a flaw in these higher wattage GPUs, but there is certainly an issue with the game coding that is causing the massive power fluctuations that is killing the cards. Both sides are likely to blame and they should be working together to find a solution, not pointing fingers.

Freaky

Personally I ran tests on a msi 3070 gaming x Trio at 4k and 1080p very high, I could not get a hot spot over 83 deg and could not create a spike in excess of TDP. Fan speed did not exceed 60%.

A fault with a card could cause a spike in power use beyond design specifications, drivers/firmware with a power limit in place should not allow one.

I think not withstanding GPU manufacturers statements and evidence to the contrary and the small amount of reports relative to player base that it's reasonable to place the blame with GPU faults. Even 80 reports would have only been .01% of day 1 concurrent players.

JL

Under normal circumstances where the software (the game in this case) doesn't has the privileges, it shouldn't be able to brick the GPU. Just imagine if any software that you run on your PC don't need to asks for any permissions, but still able to bypass the security measures of your GPU/CPU and make it burn, that would be insane.
This is a major problem with the hardware and if you do some research you will find out the the RTX series have some issues on it's project.

Mmick

The answer is pretty simple: if the game changes too much the demands,  the GPU will change from 40 - 100%, so  will change the demands from the energy too much too fast. If the card is badly designed, it doesn't deliver what it should and may burn.

Conclusion: badly designed card.

Francisco Escobedo

There are videos that display an issue where new world causes power draw beyond the set power limit of a card. Say you have the power limit set at 100%, the power draw on the card spikes to 120%. This only happens on new world. When the power limit is set to 90%, the power still spikes to 120%... It appears that both the card manufacturer (EVGA) AND Amazon need to look into this. Collaborating to resolve the issue is the right thing to do, even if this article makes it seem that Amazon has "absolved" themselves of the situation.

youtu. be/ 6A0sLVgJ7qU
Pasted this link to vid, don't have enough posts to share link directly. Get rid of spaces in link to watch the Jaytwocents vid on the topic

JPG

This article is straight-up wrong.  There are many benchmarking utilities that can outright brick your video card by overheating it.  Until now there wasn't a game that could easily do the same thing.  Most benchmarking utilities force you to accept a terms of service dialog every time that states that by running it, you are likely voiding your warranty and also accepting the risk that the benchmarking can ruin your hardware.  Have you never actually run one of these before?

Enrico Frahn

Quote from: JPG on October 09, 2021, 20:27:32
This article is straight-up wrong.  There are many benchmarking utilities that can outright brick your video card by overheating it.  Until now there wasn't a game that could easily do the same thing.  Most benchmarking utilities force you to accept a terms of service dialog every time that states that by running it, you are likely voiding your warranty and also accepting the risk that the benchmarking can ruin your hardware.  Have you never actually run one of these before?

Hi JPG,
my article says that "benchmarks (...) do not seem to brick these GPUs". It does not claim that they can't theoretically do so. However, I've found no reports that the affected RTX 3090s could also be bricked with benchmark software. If you find evidence for that and can provide a source, I will gladly update this article.

Kai k

Don't u guys get it ,make a game that profits Amazon both ways sell the game n sell GPU s they all in this  together

Dawn Klehr

I've been playing this game for months now, and now I don't care what kind of graphics card New World requires. I just hope the developers take care of the in-game issues so that my friends and I can keep playing the game. New World really means a lot to me. By the way, cheap New World Coins from Newworldcoins.com is waiting for you!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview