News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple: Fortnite won't be back in the iOS App Store anytime soon, iPhone users may have to wait years to play the game again

Started by Redaktion, September 23, 2021, 00:26:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Even though Epic Games has had partial success in its ongoing legal battle that revolves around the ultra popular battle royale game Fortnite, Apple apparently will not allow the game back on iPhones and iPads for the time being. In fact, it could take years until Fortnite will be playable on iOS devices again.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-Fortnite-won-t-be-back-in-the-iOS-App-Store-anytime-soon-iPhone-users-may-have-to-wait-years-to-play-the-game-again.563775.0.html

TruthIsThere

So, let me get this right, you violate my ToS/UA because you thought that your app is a huge hit to my store, and everywhere, and you thought that you had me by the balls to force me into a *special fame privilege agreement* just for you because of your app's popularity, right?!

I kick you off my snitz, beat you in court, you had to pay me my 30% anyway, plus interests, but I should just open my arms back up to you, just like that, and you're still trying to drag me through even more litigation by staring at many more years of court, you're bad-mouthing my company at every PR chance you have, etc., but I should just ignore all of that and just let you back into my store for the greater good, huh (which in-turn could equal to the potential of tens even up to hundreds of millions of lost revenue *for Epic* if this crap were stretched out for an additional 5-years+)?!

Give me some that snitz, Tim, that you're smoking on!

Let it go, Epic!

ZODD

And no value was lost except to greedy corps that don't give a sh*t about the people paying for this garbage, in my eyes they can both go screw.

vertigo

Apple won in some respects but lost in others, as pointed out by the article. Who knows the true motives behind Epic Games, but in my view it wasn't so much greed in thinking they brought so much to the Apple store they could essentially force Apple to bend to their whims so they could keep more of the money, but that they saw Apple's policies as unfair and monopolistic (as do many, many other devs and companies, btw) and were in a unique position of being able to challenge them, unlike most others.

And personally, I think Apple's just upset now that, as a result of the lawsuit, they're likely going to lose significantly more money than they would have had they just agreed to be reasonable from the start because, again, it was in fact determined they were being anti-competitive. So now they're just spiteful against Epic, and punishing them, which to me only serves to further show the problem and the need for them to be reigned in and for more lawsuits and enforcement. They're wielding their monopolistic power of the app store simply to try and squeeze Epic at this point.

What will be interesting--and was my first thought upon seeing this, so I was glad to see it mentioned in the article--is what effect this will have on customer's choice of platform in the future. How many people will switch to Android to be able to play what is a very popular game, and what will be the effect of that on Apple's profits? I doubt it even make a noticeable difference to their bottom line, but it'll be interesting to see if it backfires.

And by the way, I have no love for Epic Games, either, so I'm not by any means influenced in my viewpoint here by my opinion, one way or the other, of the company, but rather what I have seen as a big problem for years finally getting some attention.

TruthIsThere

Quote from: vertigo on September 25, 2021, 00:14:59
Apple won in some respects but lost in others, as pointed out by the article. Who knows the true motives behind Epic Games, but in my view it wasn't so much greed in thinking they brought so much to the Apple store they could essentially force Apple to bend to their whims so they could keep more of the money, but that they saw Apple's policies as unfair and monopolistic (as do many, many other devs and companies, btw) and were in a unique position of being able to challenge them, unlike most others.

And personally, I think Apple's just upset now that, as a result of the lawsuit, they're likely going to lose significantly more money than they would have had they just agreed to be reasonable from the start because, again, it was in fact determined they were being anti-competitive. So now they're just spiteful against Epic, and punishing them, which to me only serves to further show the problem and the need for them to be reigned in and for more lawsuits and enforcement. They're wielding their monopolistic power of the app store simply to try and squeeze Epic at this point.

What will be interesting--and was my first thought upon seeing this, so I was glad to see it mentioned in the article--is what effect this will have on customer's choice of platform in the future. How many people will switch to Android to be able to play what is a very popular game, and what will be the effect of that on Apple's profits? I doubt it even make a noticeable difference to their bottom line, but it'll be interesting to see if it backfires.

And by the way, I have no love for Epic Games, either, so I'm not by any means influenced in my viewpoint here by my opinion, one way or the other, of the company, but rather what I have seen as a big problem for years finally getting some attention.

Yeah, but no.

First, you are incorrect. Out of the 10 cases, Apple won 9 out of 10, so, I don't get your conclusion - "some respects" (plural) to the final judgmentnt.

Second, you don't sign an agreement then later say (right or wrong, take it to court, Epic could be in the App Store right now, which inevitably happening anyway 😏), "I don't think the guidelines are fair" and breach your contract without some serious diva issues.

No SANE MIND we drop or stop purchasing their preferred brand over a Fornite game (who thinks like that) and for those that would, well, they have more serious issues that needs monitoring.

Popularity rotates. One day you're hit, the next day you are gone. And that is what scares Tim, he made it very clear when he mentioned PUBG, etc. gaining higher market share due to Fornite's embargo from the App store.

Tim just needs to let it go or just continue to watch Fornite lose even more market share (by more years fighting in court) because guess what, Apple will still produce huge profits without any app(s) from devs/pubs that doesn't play by their guidelines (and yes, Apple is using Fornite as a huge example IF any other devs dares to challege its rules) and the iPhone 13 sales has already beaten the iPhone 12's release numbers by far, so, there goes that theory... "What if"! 😂

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview