News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

LG Gram 17Z90P review: Flexible lightweight with a 16:10 display

Started by Redaktion, September 06, 2021, 22:25:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the Gram 17 17Z90P, LG delivers a performance update for the super light laptop series. In addition to bringing the hardware to the current state, some things also have changed in the design compared to the predecessor. The new version with sharper edges brings a lot of performance.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-17Z90P-review-Flexible-lightweight-with-a-16-10-display.558884.0.html

Jesse

Oh Fk LG, put it out with a frickin' MATTE SCREEN and you'll double your sales immediately.

Fazal Majid

The LG Gram 17 is my favorite laptop (I also have the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, the M1 MacBook Air and a 2016 HP Spectre 13t).

I have the 2018 i7-8565U version and upgraded it from 16GB to 24GB using salvaged DIMMs and added a second M.2 NVMe drive to complement the relatively slow SATA system drive (the rubber feet were not as hard to remove then). It runs Ubuntu Linux like a champ and the huge screen is amazing for productivity.

A matte screen would indeed be a good idea, but I'd settle for a slightly improved keyboard.

hfm

Quote from: Fazal Majid on September 07, 2021, 01:20:13
The LG Gram 17 is my favorite laptop (I also have the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, the M1 MacBook Air and a 2016 HP Spectre 13t).

I have the 2018 i7-8565U version and upgraded it from 16GB to 24GB using salvaged DIMMs and added a second M.2 NVMe drive to complement the relatively slow SATA system drive (the rubber feet were not as hard to remove then). It runs Ubuntu Linux like a champ and the huge screen is amazing for productivity.

A matte screen would indeed be a good idea, but I'd settle for a slightly improved keyboard.

I have the same one, had it for around 2.5 yrs now, still love it. Dual booting Win 11 Pro and Linux

Jim Brickman

duzenko

Three reasons I won't buy this LG

• price
  • uneven brightness
  • soldered RAM
I just want a 16:10 laptop with decent CPU, decent brightness, and 32GB of RAM. Currently it's only expensive macbooks and XPS

terry

FYI, my LG Gram came with these specs (which I absolutely LOVE):

Delivery:   Thursday, June 17, 2021

LG gram 17" Intel Evo Platform Laptop - 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 2560 x 1600 Display
32 GB RAM
1.0 TB SSD

US$ 1,849.99

This was purchased online from Costco.com, a "big-box" retailer, and the full model # is 17Z90P-K.ADC9U1.

It drives my 2 external monitors fine, though when draging a window from one monitor to another, I notice the effect of not having a discrete graphics card (a very minor annoyance).

EPert

Some weeks ago I changed the ram of my desktop computer because It was faulty after years of using the machine. The replacement cost less than 50 Euros and I could keep working once I detected the problem simply removing some of the modules.
So, I don't like "soldered" anything. An error can happen over the life of the laptop and being forced to buy a new system (and/or loose all your data) or have the laptop days or monthes being repaired is not worth it.
That said, my LG GRAM 17z990 has the memory upgraded to 20GB (and a very fast second ssd (NVME).
Everything perfect BUT... having that much memory makes an indirect problem. When the laptops hibernates in Linux it is quite slow to wake up (slow meaning some 12 to 17 seconds...). Curiosly waking up from scratch is much faster. I understand that is because, even with very fast ssd, moving 20GB of memory to disk and back is slow. That said, maybe having 16GB Max is not a bad thing. In some special occasion you may reach the limit, but everyday you wake the system up from hibernation, it takes less time to do so, so it is a good tradeoff in my opinion.

H

...but would lose me as a customer.

Perhaps a choice of screen types would be good?

Speaking as someone who sits on the sofa with his, a touch screen would be my particular spec upgrade, even if it cost a few 10s of grams in weight.

The 16GB RAM limit also irritates me quite often - all y other laptops have 32GB.

H

Quote from: H on February 02, 2022, 19:14:15
...but a Matte Screen would lose me as a customer.

Perhaps a choice of screen types would be good?

Speaking as someone who sits on the sofa with his, a touch screen would be my particular spec upgrade, even if it cost a few 10s of grams in weight.

The 16GB RAM limit also irritates me quite often - all y other laptops have 32GB.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview