News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Sony Xperia 5 III appears on Best Buy starting at US$999.99 but the US$1,299.99 model seems the smarter purchase

Started by Redaktion, August 22, 2021, 01:27:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Sony Xperia 5 III smartphone has appeared in a couple of Best Buy listings. Although the new 6.1-inch device has a starting price of US$999.99, savvy shoppers might be tempted by the Xperia 5 III model that costs US$1,299.99 for a handful of reasons, including the increased storage amount and free Sony headphones.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Xperia-5-III-appears-on-Best-Buy-starting-at-US-999-99-but-the-US-1-299-99-model-seems-the-smarter-purchase.556328.0.html

Razer sharp blade V7

Yes but the 5 III is obviously more compact. Niche device considering the price tag (same for the 1 III) but such is Sony these days. Don't like, don't buy. It's like an optical drive in 2021. The target audience will look with a grin at someone who says they are useless and all production must halt immediately.

nemo

Why do people keep calling it a niche device whats so niche about it ?
It is just a very good phone with a pro mode for people who want to go the extra mile in photografie but that stil doesnt make it niche phone?

Irate Android

I think that this article is really missing the point. The upgrades on the Xperia 1 III are actually not that impressive.

8gb ram vs 12 GB RAM
This will make a very minor difference in real-life performance with the bundled Android 11 OS unless you are an insane multitasker or a serious gamer. Let's remember that several Windows laptops still ship with 8 GB of RAM.

128 GB of Storage
This difference is even more insignificant because the phone comes with a Micro SD expansion slot. And, taking into account the current price of a high capacity micro SD card with fast performance, you could easily expand your storage by 256 GB for under 50 USD.

1080p 120hz vs 4K 120hz display
In my opinion, this is actually a huge advantage for the Xperia 5 III. Let's first consider that the phone is physically smaller and therefore will maintain a healthy PPI with 1080p+. Now consider this. Both phones have the same battery capacity but the phone with the lower resolution will have better battery life. It will also have better gaming performance, assuming you're not downscaling the resolution on the 1 III for gaming anyway. Pixel density is one of the most overrated specifications of cell phones.

Why is the 5 III actually a great buy?
- it's one of the few phones that still fits in your pocket
- it's a great upgrade from a Galaxy S10e
- you're getting the same performance and camera cluster (minus the improved depth sensing) for $300 less!
- it's pretty much your ONLY option in the market for a phone with Micro SD, headphone jack, small form factor, and flagship chipset

In defense of the Xperia 1 III, I think you missed the only two differences that are actually important. Wireless charging and improved depth sensing for the camera.

Apologies if this seems harsh but I really think that this article failed to discern the important differences between these two devices. The Xperia 5 III is a real gem, especially if it becomes available in green!

TruthIsThere

Quote from: Irate Android on August 22, 2021, 20:00:07
I think that this article is really missing the point. The upgrades on the Xperia 1 III are actually not that impressive.

8gb ram vs 12 GB RAM
This will make a very minor difference in real-life performance with the bundled Android 11 OS unless you are an insane multitasker or a serious gamer. Let's remember that several Windows laptops still ship with 8 GB of RAM.

128 GB of Storage
This difference is even more insignificant because the phone comes with a Micro SD expansion slot. And, taking into account the current price of a high capacity micro SD card with fast performance, you could easily expand your storage by 256 GB for under 50 USD.

1080p 120hz vs 4K 120hz display
In my opinion, this is actually a huge advantage for the Xperia 5 III. Let's first consider that the phone is physically smaller and therefore will maintain a healthy PPI with 1080p+. Now consider this. Both phones have the same battery capacity but the phone with the lower resolution will have better battery life. It will also have better gaming performance, assuming you're not downscaling the resolution on the 1 III for gaming anyway. Pixel density is one of the most overrated specifications of cell phones.

Why is the 5 III actually a great buy?
- it's one of the few phones that still fits in your pocket
- it's a great upgrade from a Galaxy S10e
- you're getting the same performance and camera cluster (minus the improved depth sensing) for $300 less!
- it's pretty much your ONLY option in the market for a phone with Micro SD, headphone jack, small form factor, and flagship chipset

In defense of the Xperia 1 III, I think you missed the only two differences that are actually important. Wireless charging and improved depth sensing for the camera.

Apologies if this seems harsh but I really think that this article failed to discern the important differences between these two devices. The Xperia 5 III is a real gem, especially if it becomes available in green!

None of this matters for these ridiculous prices, both models are DOA!

That's not a true 4k display on the Xperia 1 III, Xperia 5 III is at least $400 overpriced compared to other phones that has the same specs, the fake 4K is what gives its "niche" label and so-called professional camera usage (which is absurd, many "professional editors" uses the iPhone more in short films but Apple is not charging an extra $500+ for its usage) and a dated SoC compared to smartphones that are about to be released in this 3Q.

Stick a fork in Sony's mobile because Sony is about to join LG, etc. very soon.

Henry Sheung Hung Ng

I can't be bothered with both of the models, its brings so little more compared to last years models,especially 5ii vs 5ii. Which the only difference is the slightest update in camera zoom, which at the same time degrades the optical performance or the battery.

The only device I personally recommend and use is the Xperia Pro, which actually is a very thoughtful device. The hdmi in + modem is a extremely valueble addition to any live production scenario

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview