News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

ThinkPad Butterfly: Lenovo might bring back foldable ThinkPad keyboard

Started by Redaktion, July 14, 2021, 22:59:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The IBM ThinkPad 701C with its foldable TrackWrite keyboard, also known as the ThinkPad Butterfly, is one of the most iconic models of the series. The impressive design was only featured in a single model, however. A new patent may be a sign that ThinkPad manufacturer Lenovo is considering to bring back the concept.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-Butterfly-Lenovo-might-bring-back-foldable-ThinkPad-keyboard.551066.0.html

anon

This would be exciting to have come back, even though the Butterfly wasn't as lightweight and thin as my EPC Voyager 3650.

Laptop Retrospective

Thanks so much for the shout out! That made my day.

My full article can be found on my website. It contains some further speculation.
laptopretrospective.com

TheForgottenKing

I'd love for this to happen, but I doubt it will.

The 10th, 15th, 20th, and 25th anniversary ThinkPads were all essentially "take one of our premium models, put the best specs in it we can, modify the casing a bit, and release it". The 25th anniversary one was the most custom but it was still a top-spec T470 with a custom keyboard.

I'd be surprised if Lenovo came out with an entirely one-off design for the 30th anniversary. I'm expecting either nothing or a standalone keyboard, possibly for the X1 Fold (Gen 2 with Alder Lake maybe??)

Alan

"combines the butterfly with Lenovo's current design"? That's a deal breaker for me.

Talk to mechanical keyboard fanatics, and they will speak of custom keycaps. These can be replaced, and some put markings on the front (instead of the top) of the key. Lenovo's latest designs, in the contiuing effort to be asslim as possible, use "chiclet" style keycaps.

An external keyboard is a great idea. Judging by the popularity of 60% layouts, a butterfly could be a hit. But - chiclet keys? That's not going to be good enough.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview