News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Lumia 950 XL may finally receive Android app support through Windows 11; phone functionality already supported

Started by Redaktion, June 30, 2021, 23:56:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Windows 11 may not run on many devices released in the last decade, but a developer has got Microsoft's new OS running on its last flagship Lumia smartphone. The Lumia 950 XL can even make calls through Windows 11 and should have access to Android apps, eventually.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Lumia-950-XL-may-finally-receive-Android-app-support-through-Windows-11-phone-functionality-already-supported.548452.0.html

Anonymousgg

kek

Quote from: Anonymousgg on July 01, 2021, 00:42:56
A smartphone is getting Android app support because of Windows 11? That's downright goofy.

This was suppose to happen with W10M way back in 2015. It was called Project Astoria.
But you know how Microsoft usually does things: They come with this great idea, start working on it, only for them to drop it and throw it inside an archive closet. Years later, they remember about it and bring it back.

Dont be surprised any day now if they bring back Continuum or something like that to the Surface Duo.

YUKI93

Quote from: kek on July 01, 2021, 05:46:03
Quote from: Anonymousgg on July 01, 2021, 00:42:56
A smartphone is getting Android app support because of Windows 11? That's downright goofy.

This was suppose to happen with W10M way back in 2015. It was called Project Astoria.
But you know how Microsoft usually does things: They come with this great idea, start working on it, only for them to drop it and throw it inside an archive closet. Years later, they remember about it and bring it back.

Dont be surprised any day now if they bring back Continuum or something like that to the Surface Duo.

The reason why Microsoft dropped Project Astoria is that developers don't see any point to port Android apps to Windows 10 Mobile.

I definitely would love to see the spiritual return of Continuum on Surface Duo. I'm still using Continuum on my current daily-driving Lumia 950 and I'm still loving it. Bringing it to Surface Duo would be great, especially with the existence of the built-in barebone Desktop Mode. We definitely need more pocket PC iteration apart from Samsung's DeX, Huawei's Easy Projection, LG's Screen+, and Motorola's Ready For.

YUKI93

This is why I still love using Windows Phone as my daily driver. You definitely can't do this with Android.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview