News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Schenker XMG Neo 15 gaming laptop in review - RTX 3080 with 165W TGP ensures high scores

Started by Redaktion, June 18, 2021, 16:44:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The XMG Neo 15 is a 15-inch gaming laptop that tries to convince with industrial design and a lot of raw performance. It relies on the new Tiger-Lake CPUs and the current GeForce RTX 3000 generation. We will find out whether the concept works in the following review.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-Neo-15-gaming-laptop-in-review-RTX-3080-with-165W-TGP-ensures-high-scores.546054.0.html

Dorby

Are battery runtimes tested with Optimus or MUX iGPU only?
Seems a little low relative to battery capacity.

_MT_

Quote from: Dorby on June 19, 2021, 08:08:31
Over 5 hours? I would bet on Optimus. I can't see it consuming circa 17 W total with the 3080 running. It really comes down to driver/ BIOS optimizations. And given it's a gaming laptop and the low DPC latencies, I suppose they are not trying hard.

_MT_

Quote from: Dorby on June 19, 2021, 08:08:31
Excuse me, I read your question wrong. I though you wrote dGPU and not iGPU. Is there a difference? Does iGPU benefit from a MUX?

_MT_

It's interesting it can last so long under load. 2:41. It must be severely throttled. That translates to about 35 W average. It wouldn't last 30 minutes running full on.

Dorby

Quote from: _MT_ on June 19, 2021, 08:59:02
Excuse me, I read your question wrong. I though you wrote dGPU and not iGPU. Is there a difference? Does iGPU benefit from a MUX?

I have used the GTX1060/FHD version of this exact laptop (I think, same blocky keyboard design and model name started with TFG which indicated Tongfang). The laptop had a MUX switch + 90Wh battery and got almost 9 hours of battery life, which was longer than something like Gigabyte Aero 15 (1060/FHD/94Wh) with only standard Optimus at the time, which is the main reason why I bought it.

MUX definitely helps with battery life, since Optimus loses its effectiveness at power efficiency as the dGPU gets more powerful. It's the reason why XPS 15 (FHD) with GTX1650 can get 12 hours, unlike a gaming laptop like this one.

Which is why I'm thinking the battery life was tested on Optimus at 165Hz on default settings, not MUX iGPU set to 60Hz.

Paper spec wise and with the right settings applied, this laptop should be able deliver 9 hours easy.

Spunjji

Good to see Intel back into contention with AMD in the performance stakes - this device trades blows with the Lenovo Legion 7, which appears to be one of the highest-performing 5900HX devices out there. It's a shame about the price and the battery life, though - and that 120W(!) PL1 definitely seems to be exerting a cost in terms of the cooling required.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview