News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

9 W Core i7-1180G7 vs. 28 W Core i7-1185G7: What's The Performance Deficit?

Started by Redaktion, June 16, 2021, 06:14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The 9 W part isn't as far behind as one might presume depending on the workload involved. The Core i7-1180G7 can be surprisingly close to the i7-1185G7 when it comes to integrated graphics performance and single-threaded workloads.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/9-W-Core-i7-1180G7-vs-28-W-Core-i7-1185G7-What-s-The-Performance-Deficit.545537.0.html

Thor78

I highly doubt it really runs at 9W... PL on the Dell is 40W / 23W.

Difference is huge between AMD and I'm not even talking about M1 which literally never exceed 15W even at full load (CPU)...

_MT_

Quote from: Thor78 on June 16, 2021, 08:15:18
I highly doubt it really runs at 9W... PL on the Dell is 40W / 23W.
Of course not. How could it exceed 3 GHz on all cores running at 9 W? Frankly, even the technical specification stated in the article don't correspond to a 9 W configuration. I'm not even sure the 1180G7 can be configured to 9 W TDP. Even if it can, 9 W configuration certainly doesn't have 2.2 GHz base frequency.

TDP is for base frequencies (in Intel's terms), how many times does it have to be said (of course, you will get higher frequencies for light loads). And different manufacturers use different ways of determining it with their own guidelines for engineers. That's why there is such a difference in base frequencies between them. The relatively small difference in boost frequencies does suggest a high boost PL (but of course lower than what UP3 can do). The Surface with UP3 has 60/ 30 IIRC. Even laptops with active cooling can eventually settle under 20 W. It's doubtful passively cooled devices would settle higher. The point of high boost is to take advantage of a cold heat exchanger. In small battery powered devices, you don't really want to use it as switching at such frequencies is inherently inefficient. TDP should correspond to continuous cooling capacity. That's why it's called TDP. It's what you design for. And the processor will then try to extract whatever headroom you have via boost if you allow it. I mean, why would you choose UP4? It costs the same as UP3. You choose it because you can't or don't want to cool more.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview