News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The curious case of missing CUDA cores: Dell G15 listing suggests that its GeForce RTX 3060 isn't as powerful as it should be

Started by Redaktion, June 10, 2021, 11:17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell may be up to its CUDA core cannibalizing shenanigans again. A cursory glance at the Dell G15 listing tells us that its CUDA core count is set at 3,584 instead of 3,840. One could have dismissed it as an error had it not been for Dell's recent Alienware m15 R5 debacle.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-curious-case-of-missing-CUDA-cores-Dell-G15-listing-suggests-that-its-GeForce-RTX-3060-isn-t-as-powerful-as-it-should-be.544458.0.html

JimmyTheUncle

It looks like they took Nvidia Cuda Cores spec from desktop models:

nvidia.com/pl-pl/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/compare/

It says Desktop RTX3060 has 3584 Cuda Cores

MOFO

Great Job DELL !
After Frank Azzor left I thought hey it couldn't get any worse , well oh man how wrong I was , it incompetent business decision after business decision that will drive a lot of Dell/AW fans away by deliberately crippling performance compared to other OEM's , this decision is truly baffling heads will roll after this

Eric

I just ordered this laptop last week, thank you for this article! After reading this I called Dell Support straight away, and was assured that "Dell would not do that and you will get what you paid for". I mentioned the recent R15 debacle and just kept asking if the listing on their site was wrong then, because its clearly listed as having less CUDA cores than a standard 3060. At that point i was told they would "have an update for me when i got my computer". So i asked to clarify, "you are going to send me my laptop and then give me a BIOS update to address the issue?" "No no no, i am going to call you with an update". Very confusing and frustrating experience. Basically they gave me the run-around and didnt have an answer for me, hopefully this is rectified.

rahul

Anil Ganti

Quote from: rahul on June 10, 2021, 23:39:13
I have the Dell G15 Ryzen Edition and the Nvidia control panel reports 3840 for the RTX 3060.

Hi, thanks for clarifying. Would it be possible for you to send me a screenshot of the Nvidia Control Panel and GPU-Z showing that it indeed has 3,840 CUDA cores. I'll update the article with your info. You can reach out to me via Twitter, link next to my bio.

DavidK

I find the approx wattage funny. There is no way in hell a Dell laptop can get anywhere close to 115 watts of gpu power. I've had a g15 couple of generations back, and it's a one big power issue.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview