News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Spectre x360 14 Review: High-resolution OLED display, poor battery life

Started by Redaktion, May 30, 2021, 01:18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

HP's 2-in-1 device features a Tiger Lake CPU, two Thunderbolt 4 ports and a 13.5-inch 3:2 OLED touchscreen (3000x2000). The touchscreen can be operated with both the included HP Tilt Pen and the fingers.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Spectre-x360-14-Review-High-resolution-OLED-display-poor-battery-life.541349.0.html

smh

Holy crap, this is the best form of PWM I've seen. 250 hz under only 10%? DC dimming above all of that? Wow, HP, I'm surprised

9to5guy

QuoteThe display backlight flickers at 250 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 10 % and below.
Brilliant $ngin$$ring work, HP! And fantastic revi$w! Very profe$$ional!

Mark Brackley

Quote from: smh on May 30, 2021, 04:28:01
Holy crap, this is the best form of PWM I've seen. 250 hz under only 10%? DC dimming above all of that? Wow, HP, I'm surprised

Shocking Indeed for OLED! Can redaktion really confirm this to be true? No PWM at all upwards 10% brightness?
Sink me, but this appears to be actually a laptop I'd buy from HP and that's a goddamn first!

EDIT: nwm where's the insert key?..

smh

Brd

Disappointed to see it not commented on, but the subpixel arrangement of the OLED causes all white and lighter colors to have a distracting grainy appearance. It was bad enough to make me return this otherwise great device. I really wish they had a high PPI LCD option or had access to super AMOLED panels with a normal subpixel arrangement

Dorby

This is true. Very noticeable on still pictures and much less noticeable with text and videos, but it's enough to be a dealbreaker to a lot of people. Samsung has reported to have fixed this issue on this year's iteration of laptop OLED panels, across all screen resolutions.

Ohreli

The top of the review says "Because both the HP Spectre x360 14-ea0378ng and the HP Spectre x360 14t-ea000 are identically built, we shall skip the sections that deal with the case, connectivity, input devices and the speakers." But the speaker analysis, stats and rating for this model is NOT the same as for the 14t-ea000...it is lower and implies the speakers are inferior to the sibling model. Can anyone help explain the contradiction?

idk man

Quote from: Ohreli on June 01, 2021, 05:43:04
The top of the review says "Because both the HP Spectre x360 14-ea0378ng and the HP Spectre x360 14t-ea000 are identically built, we shall skip the sections that deal with the case, connectivity, input devices and the speakers." But the speaker analysis, stats and rating for this model is NOT the same as for the 14t-ea000...it is lower and implies the speakers are inferior to the sibling model. Can anyone help explain the contradiction?
They should be the same model, as why the heck would HP waste money on making an entire different production line for worse speakers, so I believe it's just percentage of error I guess.

Ohreli

Your guess is as good as mine!  But in this review the audio went from being in the top 4% of 'tested devices in the class' to the top 14%.  Enough to bring the Audio rating down from 84 to 76.    Something must be off somewhere...

idk man

Quote from: Ohreli on June 02, 2021, 20:06:47
Your guess is as good as mine!  But in this review the audio went from being in the top 4% of 'tested devices in the class' to the top 14%.  Enough to bring the Audio rating down from 84 to 76.    Something must be off somewhere...
I guess something that would make sense to explain this is that HP didn't do any tuning to the speakers, but why would they do that to their best end configuration.... 

S.Yu

Quote from: smh on May 30, 2021, 21:55:20
Quote from: Micron1- on May 30, 2021, 19:45:37
Not 10%, its mistake.
Actually 100% and 250Hz
How do you know? I want a response from the article writers
I have this exact model and I tested it with my phone, I set exposure time to 1/500s in the camera app and pointed it at the screen, indeed it shows largely static slanted stripes, and only the thickness of the stripes change with the brightness, indicating a fixed PWM frequency of about 250Hz . At 50% brightness, exactly half of the screen is illuminated on my viewfinder, i.e. half the thickness of each stripe is black. Subjectively, though I consider myself sensitive to PWM, I don't experience particular eye strain with any setting above 10%, so I can say that the shape of the voltage wave matters, aside from frequency.

S.Yu

Personally, I'm more disappointed with the battery life(I don't need to use laptops away from a charger for extended periods so I didn't notice), and the gamut that's <90% ARGB.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview