News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Legion 7i is the world's first 16-inch QHD gaming laptop powered by Intel Tiger Lake-H and up to 165 W NVIDIA RTX 3080

Started by Redaktion, May 11, 2021, 13:02:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo has upgraded the Legion 7i gaming laptop to offer Intel Tiger Lake-H CPU and NVIDIA RTX 30 Ampere Laptop GPU options. This year's Legion 7i is being pegged as the world's first 16-inch QHD gaming laptop with a 165 Hz 16:10 NVIDIA G-SYNC display. The Legion 7i also comes with a Corsair RGB keyboard and the Legion AI Engine to dynamically shift power between the CPU and the GPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-7i-is-the-world-s-first-16-inch-QHD-gaming-laptop-powered-by-Intel-Tiger-Lake-H-and-up-to-165-W-NVIDIA-RTX-3080.539002.0.html

DiegoJD

I have a question, the article says that the gpu of this model has Max-Q support, does that mean that it will not be Max-P?, I am confused, because I see that it has a high TGP (165w), I am interested in games, I would expect a performance equal to or better than its version with AMD Ryzen, which one to choose when they are available?

Harshit Karwal

The 3080 is Max-P. The article states that it (while being Max-P) offers Max-Q functions as well, like Advanced Optimus: which lets you switch between Optimus mode enabled, or Discrete GPU only mode without having to restart the laptop every time you switch between the two. This is significant as the performance differences are quite large.

I am buying a gaming laptop soon, and consider this Legion 7i as the best gaming laptop releasing this year, ticking all the boxes :)

Harshit Karwal

...continued...

Intel 11th Gen is claiming better performance than AMD Ryzen 5000. But we will have to wait for more reviews before jumping to a conclusion. Keep in mind that the Intel version has Thunderbolt and Advanced Optimus as well, both of which are missing in the AMD version (I may be wrong about the Advanced Optimus part). I personally am buying the Legion 7i :D

Danial

Does anyone know how is the ssd arrangement? Is it pcie 3 or 4? And how good is the optane version?

Mr.X

Quote from: Danial on May 17, 2021, 12:22:45
Does anyone know how is the ssd arrangement? Is it pcie 3 or 4? And how good is the optane version?

Tiger Lake H has PCIe 4.0 x20  lanes. x16 for the GPU and x4 for the first NVMe SSD. The second NVMe SSD will use PCIe 3.0 x4 from the mainboard chipset.

_MT_

Quote from: Mr.X on May 18, 2021, 11:15:48
Tiger Lake H has PCIe 4.0 x20  lanes. x16 for the GPU and x4 for the first NVMe SSD. The second NVMe SSD will use PCIe 3.0 x4 from the mainboard chipset.
That's pretty wasteful, isn't it. Surely x8 would be enough for a GPU.

Danial

Quote from: Mr.X on May 18, 2021, 11:15:48
Quote from: Danial on May 17, 2021, 12:22:45

thanks for your reply! are you 100% on this information? I would appreciate it if you could write your source so I can go through it too.
also if that's how it goes then how Asus is managing 3x m.2 gen4 in the new s17? is the GPU connected to PCIe 3? :o
and does anyone know if we can choose the SSD brand or type when ordering the legion 7i? because apparently, it matters a lot now  :D

_MT_

Quote from: Danial on May 20, 2021, 17:00:40
also if that's how it goes then how Asus is managing 3x m.2 gen4 in the new s17? is the GPU connected to PCIe 3? :o
and does anyone know if we can choose the SSD brand or type when ordering the legion 7i? because apparently, it matters a lot now  :D
I don't know how they do it but one way is exactly what I suggested - using just 8 lanes for a GPU which leaves you 12 lanes for SSDs. 4.0 x8 corresponds to 3.0 x16 which is surely enough for a GPU.

Lenovo doesn't allow you to choose make and model of SSDs. Or displays. Or keyboards. It's a lottery. If there is a choice, it's based on parameters (capacity, resolution, language, etc.), not specific make/ model. I doubt 7i will be any different.

Angstromm

Thanks for the info. Have been looking at this laptop, along with a couple of others, but have found two deal breakers, for me:

1. One of the two M.2 slots only supports PCIe Gen3! Put another way, only one of the slots supports Gen4. Very odd and very disappointing. That means running in RAID0, it will be dropped to Gen3 speeds, which nullifies any advantage to running RAID0.

2. Only supports up to 32GB RAM. Another "What!?" for me.

All the other laptops I've been looking at in this price range support up to 64GB RAM and both M.2 slots are Gen4. I don't get what Lenovo is up to...very odd.

The source of this info, btw, is Lenovo support and their "Lenovo Legion 7 16ITHg6 Product Specifications Reference" PDF. Happy to share that if anyone wishes.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview