News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Next MacBook Air design revealed in iMac colours with a flat chassis and a revised keyboard

Started by Redaktion, May 10, 2021, 23:53:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The next MacBook Air has leaked again, this time in multiple colours. Apple's next budget MacBook will feature a revised keyboard, a new chassis and white display bezels. The device is expected to launch with an Apple M2 SoC, too.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Next-MacBook-Air-design-revealed-in-iMac-colours-with-a-flat-chassis-and-a-revised-keyboard.538932.0.html

Jamie Capurso

I was always going to be worried when Cook redesigned the laptops and this abomination is why, fugly! and change for the sake of it rather than for improvement.

_MT_

Quote from: Jamie Capurso on May 11, 2021, 01:51:23
I was always going to be worried when Cook redesigned the laptops and this abomination is why, fugly! and change for the sake of it rather than for improvement.
I don't care for the new iMac either. It's just a big slab on a stand. Flat body is probably going to be less comfortable. It might cut into your thighs and palms. A change of keyboard is worrying as it was rumoured that Apple would eventually return to butterfly switches. Especially as they are changing body as well. I expect them to make it as thin as possible. And I can't imagine I will like a white bezel. One thing I didn't like about the original Air was the silver bezel. In general, I don't find light coloured bezels around displays to be particularly attractive. And white keycaps to boot... This just might be the ugliest MacBook ever.

Gagarin235

Jesus christ. Im getting flashbacks of the iBook Clamshell. Even though I think apple is gonna differentiate the next macbook pro way more - possibly with a miniLED display . and I actually thought a fanless design was better because of noise and dust ... i would never ever buy this crap :D

winston

Colored metal looks cheap, but as long as they offer a silver variant...
I don't understand what's wrong with white bezels though, they are a lot less reflective and mirror-like than black bezels and therefore provide better contrast.

_MT_

Quote from: winston on May 11, 2021, 12:03:25
Colored metal looks cheap, but as long as they offer a silver variant...
I don't understand what's wrong with white bezels though, they are a lot less reflective and mirror-like than black bezels and therefore provide better contrast.
Light bezel makes display stand out more, instead of blending in. Of course, it depends on what the display is displaying. It also stands out more in an environment. Essentially, the problem is that it's drawing attention. And then the white keys on coloured metal. The current dark grey on silver is spot on, in my opinion. Very classy. I agree that glossy black is not great either. I dislike glossy screens in general. I do expect MBP to retain black bezels and this being one of the differentiators. Air having more toy-like look.

mca2

Apple is still the only(?) manufacturer that makes a true laptop. Thus one you can use on your lap without blocking cooling inlets, because there are no inlets in the bottom plate!

vertigo

Quote from: _MT_ on May 11, 2021, 07:50:21
Flat body is probably going to be less comfortable. It might cut into your thighs and palms.

And white keycaps to boot... This just might be the ugliest MacBook ever.

That's one of the biggest issues I have with the physical design of my laptop (T14s). The keyboard deck is flat with "sharp" edges (not really sharp, but not rounded), and when typing it digs into my wrists and is quite uncomfortable. As for the white keys, I can't remember which laptop it was, but there was one I looked at reviews for several months ago and it came with white or dark keys, and the review (or might have even been multiple reviews) said the (white) backlight on the white keys was difficult to see in the dark.

Quote from: _MT_ on May 11, 2021, 12:59:06
Light bezel makes display stand out more, instead of blending in. Of course, it depends on what the display is displaying. It also stands out more in an environment. Essentially, the problem is that it's drawing attention.

Exactly, but Apple products tend to be a fashion statement as much as they are functional. I know I wouldn't like a light bezel.

Quote from: mca2 on May 11, 2021, 21:14:27
Apple is still the only(?) manufacturer that makes a true laptop. Thus one you can use on your lap without blocking cooling inlets, because there are no inlets in the bottom plate!

This, 1000x this. It's ridiculous how a laptop isn't even a laptop anymore. They're "notebooks," and the manufacturers recommend not using them on your lap. How absurd. How about just designing them better? I use my T14s on my lap every day, and every...single...time it gets extremely hot, to the point the keys are uncomfortable to touch and it gets warm enough on my legs to make me warm. At least I don't have to turn the heat on as high... The CPU temp is regularly in the 80s and 90s, and yesterday it hit 99-100 and started lagging. This is all with an extremely minimal workload, all because it has a single fan on the bottom, not even centered to be between the legs, or on the edge to easily decenter it on the lap and let the fan breathe, but perfectly placed to be covered by my leg regardless of how I position it. Unbelievable how sloppy the engineering is.

_MT_

Quote from: vertigo on May 11, 2021, 21:55:04
As for the white keys, I can't remember which laptop it was, but there was one I looked at reviews for several months ago and it came with white or dark keys, and the review (or might have even been multiple reviews) said the (white) backlight on the white keys was difficult to see in the dark.

Exactly, but Apple products tend to be a fashion statement as much as they are functional. I know I wouldn't like a light bezel.

This, 1000x this. It's ridiculous how a laptop isn't even a laptop anymore. They're "notebooks," and the manufacturers recommend not using them on your lap.
Yes, white backlight on white keys is a bad idea. It can be a problem in daylight as well (lettering has to be translucent and it's harder to create contrast against white). There is also the risk of getting dirty easier and getting discoloured faster. It doesn't even look good in my opinion (white keys on coloured metal).

I never liked white bezels, for example on iPhones. I don't think a MacBook with black bezel would draw any less attention from others.

However, Apple is not the only one. There have been other laptops that intake from the top. Although, sucking air through a keyboard deck is probably not an option if you want it spill-resistant. Surface Laptop, for example, doesn't have this problem.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview