News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Motorola Moto G100 shows why we might no longer need a PC soon

Started by Redaktion, May 06, 2021, 04:23:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Motorola Moto G100 smartphone also acts as a PC replacement by means of a special desktop mode. And this even worked surprisingly well in our test.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Motorola-Moto-G100-shows-why-we-might-no-longer-need-a-PC-soon.537656.0.html

Sprewell

You don't need a PC now, phones and tablets come with comparable computing power these days. My Snapdragon 888 phone benchmarks about as fast as a 2017 Macbook Pro with a core i7 7700HQ, which is plenty fast enough when I was just building large C++ codebases today in the Termux app (available at termux.com) on this phone. When I need a desktop mode, I just connect it to a USB hub which displays to a 28" monitor with Samsung Dex and type away with a full USB keyboard.

It is my phone, my web-surfing "tablet," and my PC. This is the future, and it will kill off the Wintel PC business.

Oleg

I used such PC mode with separate Moto Dock-station on my Motorola Droid RAZR in 2013 (8 years back). At that time it was already sufficient for office applications, but I was struggling with synchronization. Nowadays when 90% of  desktop applications are cloud-based synchro won't a problem anymore. Looking forward for Moto Mods comeback :)

Wereweeb

I want to see a good convertible laptop-esque dock. But no, won't replace my PC. I like having non-proprietary software/hardware.

RagnarLCattegat

Like someone else said above. Motorola has had this technology since like 2011 when I first used my Motorola Atrix 4G with it's lapdock and docking station. I laugh when people say Samsung with their Dex was thw first one...  :)  ;) sure!!!

Prelude

As long as desktop games and live streaming/podcast exist, it's highly doubtful.
On top of that smartphone companies don't stand behind their products for long. Planned obsolescence on smartphones going up against people who have been upgrading their Rigs for years. Well over a decade for a lot of people.

Maybe they'll surprise and keep updating like LG but again I doubt it.

Great for those who aren't heavy users of a desktop computer but other than that, no.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview