News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Six months later, Iris Xe is looking to be exactly what Intel needed in its fight against AMD Ryzen

Started by Redaktion, May 06, 2021, 00:00:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Iris Xe Max did little to impress, but the same can't be said about the regular Iris Xe 96 EUs GPU. With more than thirty 11th gen laptops under our belt, we can now paint a broader picture of how Iris Xe performs when compared to all the mobile Ryzen Radeon Vega GPUs currently available.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Six-months-later-Iris-Xe-is-looking-to-be-exactly-what-Intel-needed-in-its-fight-against-AMD-Ryzen.537306.0.html

tombox

You are comparing i7 Iris Xe with 96 EU against Ryzen 5 with Vega 6 and that is not fair. You should compare the much weaker i5 Iris Xe with 80 EU GPU against Ryzen 5 Vega 6. Why did you exclude it from your article? Anyway, when Ryzen 5000 Zen 3 processors, R5 5600U and R7 5800U, start coming out in May/June, they will totally destroy (30-40%) both i5-1135G7 and i7-1165G7 in CPU performance and match GPU one.

RinzImpulse

Yes, Intel did win by a few % on graphic, but on CPU, RIP them because they only have 4 cores at most at the expense of bigger GPU size

Eric

Hah, wow, let the Intel hate begin. I think AMD fans are missing the point that this article makes, which is that Intel has made HUGE strides to catch up to AMD in integrated graphics performance, an area in which Intel has historically been extremely weak. Perhaps Intel will fall behind again with AMD's next generation of processors, but at least Intel is now competitive.

Anonym

It's impressive how the roles have reversed in the mobile chips, AMD has an amazing CPU, while Intel did some really impressive work with their iGPU.

However, I must say that your benchmarks do not show the entire picture. You must test hardware accelerated video decoding (and encoding), especially with AV1, to understand just how far ahead the Intel iGPU is for the "real world" mobile tasks (such as video conferencing and content consumption).

The rasterization performance may be very similar (i.e., "games benchmarks"), but I can assure you the multimedia performance (i.e., codec hardware acceleration) definitively isn't even close -- and that really shows in battery life and heat output; AMD is losing in the places that should have been its biggest strengths.

kek

Quote from: tombox on May 06, 2021, 04:38:38
You are comparing i7 Iris Xe with 96 EU against Ryzen 5 with Vega 6 and that is not fair. You should compare the much weaker i5 Iris Xe with 80 EU GPU against Ryzen 5 Vega 6. Why did you exclude it from your article? Anyway, when Ryzen 5000 Zen 3 processors, R5 5600U and R7 5800U, start coming out in May/June, they will totally destroy (30-40%) both i5-1135G7 and i7-1165G7 in CPU performance and match GPU one.

AMD fans like to talk big like if there wasnt any production constraints for AMD right now. All those Renoir CPU are hard to find and you either buy a lame laptop with a poor screen or wait like 5 months for your custom build to arrive. That's terrible imo.

Meanwhile, Tiger Lake options are there with custom builds or  ship next day options.

DOC_

It appears I am the only actual Intel Xe customer here, but I upgraded from an 8665u for the primary purpose of getting a better iGPU.

I have a desktop at home and so high end performance wasn't necessary.

Overall, the Xe 96 graphics are a great compromise between battery life and performance versus a bigger dGPU.

For me, an eight core laptop is an edge-case use and so the 5700u would never interest me.

tombox

Quote from: kek on May 06, 2021, 16:41:04

AMD fans like to talk big like if there wasnt any production constraints for AMD right now. All those Renoir CPU are hard to find and you either buy a lame laptop with a poor screen or wait like 5 months for your custom build to arrive. That's terrible imo.
Meanwhile, Tiger Lake options are there with custom builds or  ship next day options.

This is not about being a fan of the Red or Blue team. The data speaks for itself.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800U vs Intel Core i7-1165G7

PASSMARK
Cross-Platform...37350...20544   
Single Thread.......3116......2915   
CPU Mark............19997...10602

iGPU-FP32.............2048.....1933

Maddog707

Quote from: tombox on May 06, 2021, 18:07:26
Quote from: kek on May 06, 2021, 16:41:04

This is not about being a fan of the Red or Blue team. The data speaks for itself.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800U vs Intel Core i7-1165G7

PASSMARK
Cross-Platform...37350...20544   
Single Thread.......3116......2915   
CPU Mark............19997...10602

iGPU-FP32.............2048.....1933

The i9-11800H got you shaking in your boots.

Spunjji

Good to see Intel have continued to develop and improve their drivers. Xe certainly looks like a much more consistent candidate now than it did on launch, and it was still very competitive even then.

The only concern I have remaining is the size of those error bars... OEMs are still pumping out TGL notebooks that cannot get even close to the optimal performance from the SoC. That's concerning. AMD seem to be faring better despite OEMs often using inferior components, seemingly due to their CPUs' ability to reach closer to its peak performance at a lower power level than TGL.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview