News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD might shelve plans to launch Ryzen 6000 Warhol this year leaving Intel Alder Lake with a possible gaming advantage

Started by Redaktion, April 27, 2021, 17:53:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD might scrap plans of introducing a Zen 3 Refresh later this year. Codenamed Warhol, the speculated Ryzen 6000 family is considered to offer between 9% to 12% increased performance over Zen 3 Ryzen 5000. The probable reason for cancellation could be related to supply issues, but whether this decision makes sense or not can only be ascertained once Intel launches Alder Lake in Q4 this year.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-might-shelve-plans-to-launch-Ryzen-6000-Warhol-this-year-leaving-Intel-Alder-Lake-with-a-possible-gaming-advantage.533706.0.html

Phil995511

If Intel has created a new architecture, they switch to 10nm "SuperFin", then they have enough power reserve to lower the operating frequency of their CPU's while gaining 25% performance thanks to their new architecture.

In my opinion they only keep Mhz or Ghz in reserve to be able to gradually increase in power and regain the upper hand over AMD. This is how Intel has always operated, a "low frequencies" at the start of a new product launch followed by an increase in it during the following months / years.

Phil995511

If I were in the shoes of AMD executives, I would release the Ryzen Zen 3+ 6000 series, AM4 compatible, with support for AVX-512 instruction sets and equipped with a maximum of 24 cores 48 threads, this the fastest possible.

For AMD, continuing to innovate while satisfying its old and news customers is the only way not to lose the hard-won ground against Intel.

Anonymousgg

Quote from: Phil995511 on April 28, 2021, 23:33:18
If I were in the shoes of AMD executives, I would release the Ryzen Zen 3+ 6000 series, AM4 compatible, with support for AVX-512 instruction sets and equipped with a maximum of 24 cores 48 threads, this the fastest possible.

For AMD, continuing to innovate while satisfying its old and news customers is the only way not to lose the hard-won ground against Intel.

Your advice is bad. AMD executives should not listen to you.

If it gets released, it will probably be on AM4. But AM5 + DDR5 could allow it to perform better against DDR5 Alder Lake, and be the beta test for Zen 4.

Almost nobody on consumer Ryzen is clamoring for AVX-512 support. It is for a handful of niche workloads. If it comes with Zen 4, great, if not, it will not be missed.

24 cores should not be crammed onto AM4. AM5 is when core counts should be increased, starting with 24 and maybe 32 or more cores later. Most users are happy with 6-12 cores anyway, but if Zen 4 16-core gets a price cut, it will smash 8+8 Alder Lake. 24-core Ryzen would be the budget Threadripper, like the 3950X and 5950X are today...

Spunjji

Love it when a product rumour doesn't look like it's coming to pass so the sources say it was "cancelled".

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview