News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple launches 24-inch M1 iMac in a rainbow of color choices with 7-core or 8-core GPU availability and two Thunderbolt ports onboard

Started by Redaktion, April 20, 2021, 21:29:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple has launched a redesigned iMac featuring its M1 Silicon and a range of bright colors. The 24-inch iMac joins the MacBook Pro 13, MacBook Air, and Mac Mini to officially become an M1 Mac. Prices start at US$1,299 for the 2021 redesigned iMac, which features a much slimmer profile, improved sound system, Thunderbolt connectivity, and Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-launches-24-inch-M1-iMac-in-a-rainbow-of-color-choices-with-7-core-or-8-core-GPU-availability-and-two-Thunderbolt-ports-onboard.533422.0.html

Ishraqiyun

So a bigger, bulkier, immobile M1 Macbook... or a M1 Mac Mini with a screen. What a shame and a missed opportunity. A M1 MBA with an external 4K monitor is about the same price and more practical. Or if you are really dead set on having something that isn't meant to be mobile, get a M1 Mac Mini and a 4K display.

ariliquin

Its a great screen and design, will sell. Performance a big step forward over Intel options. The iMac Pro will be the most interesting with 6k Screen adn M1x processor, dedicated graphics option.

slws

Quote from: Ishraqiyun on April 20, 2021, 22:01:00
So a bigger, bulkier, immobile M1 Macbook... or a M1 Mac Mini with a screen. What a shame and a missed opportunity. A M1 MBA with an external 4K monitor is about the same price and more practical. Or if you are really dead set on having something that isn't meant to be mobile, get a M1 Mac Mini and a 4K display.

Well, you need to prepare for some cycling of those external displays due to quality issues. Mac mini + dedicated 24 inch 4K screen is not cheaper. BTW where can we buy 24 inch 4K screen ? Nowhere - just now. 27 inch and 4K?
No - thanks! It is a wrong size.

Spunjji

Quote from: Ishraqiyun on April 20, 2021, 22:01:00
So a bigger, bulkier, immobile M1 Macbook... or a M1 Mac Mini with a screen... A M1 MBA with an external 4K monitor is about the same price and more practical.

Depends what you mean by practical, surely? This is going to take up very little space on a desk compared to laptop + screen, only needs one cable (power) and will probably have better display quality than the average 24" 4K screen. Different devices for different jobs, surely?

Dan Ridenhour

They could have made HUGE inroads into the PC community if they would just have made a thunderbolt In so this could be used as an external monitor.  Fantastic screen and the ability to move the mac front and center in a multi-os config where the user could flip between windows / MacOS.   Instead someone has to buy a mac mini and someone elses monitor to get that functionality.  Those dollars could have easily gone to Apple. 

Dan Ridenhour

For what its worth, I REALLY don't think we are going to see dedicated GPU options from apple anymore.  Rumors already have them scaling up the M1x to 32 gpu cores...  and I just can't see them 'adding' support for nvidia and external GPUs that have high power draws and thermal envelopes they can't control.   It just re opens them to a lot of the problems they said they were getting rid of by going to apple silicon in the first place.   I think AMD/NVidia on mac are end of life / doa at this point.

_MT_

Quote from: Dan Ridenhour on April 21, 2021, 21:29:04
For what its worth, I REALLY don't think we are going to see dedicated GPU options from apple anymore.  Rumors already have them scaling up the M1x to 32 gpu cores...  and I just can't see them 'adding' support for nvidia and external GPUs that have high power draws and thermal envelopes they can't control.   It just re opens them to a lot of the problems they said they were getting rid of by going to apple silicon in the first place.   I think AMD/NVidia on mac are end of life / doa at this point.
I think you are conflating dedicated with external. Nvidia chips were never officially supported. And I'm not expecting them to support AMD on non-Intel Macs. Whether there are dedicated GPUs (as in not integrated, separate from CPU - a chip dedicated to graphics processing) is really a question of architecture and how powerful they want to make their computers. There is a limit as to how big a chip can be. And when you have to break it up, how do you do it? Are you doing to separate CPU and GPU? Are you going to work with two identical chips? Are you going to put them into a single package or separate packages?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview