News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI OPTIX MAG301RF: A 29.5-inch gaming monitor with a 21:9 aspect ratio, 1 ms response times and a 200 Hz refresh rate that costs US$399

Started by Redaktion, April 01, 2021, 20:42:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

MSI has unveiled the OPTIX MAG301RF, its latest ultra-wide gaming monitor. The MAG301RF has a 29.5-inch panel that runs at 2,560 x 1,080 pixels, with a 200 Hz refresh rate and 1 ms response times. The MAG301RF should be available in a month for about US$399.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-OPTIX-MAG301RF-A-29-5-inch-gaming-monitor-with-a-21-9-aspect-ratio-1-ms-response-times-and-a-200-Hz-refresh-rate-that-costs-US-399.530424.0.html

Rich4143

Don't mean to be pessimistic, but IMO, 21:9 has no place in the PC world. 21:9 only makes sense for movie watching. PC users aren't racing out to get monitors...for movie quality displays. Also, I find the advertisement humorous with them showing the outline of a 16:9 display in a 21:9 box. In case you are wondering, that would make the 16:9 outline, a 24" monitor. So ya, comparing a 29.5" monitor to 24" definitely means you are getting more screen real estate. A 27" 16:9 monitor, the trade-offs aren't so drastic. Furthermore, if you compared a 32" 16:9 monitor to this one, you would actually get the same width with more vertical space.

Rinzler

Moron.  Clearly you're not a gamer and you're commenting on a gaming monitor.  Being able to see more on the sides is a huge advantage for FPS games and offers more immersion in any game.  Aspect ratio is everything when it comes to gaining an advantage in FPS games.

Guess you don't seem to understand how games or gaming monitors work.

I suppose you would also say G-Sync and 200hz has no place also.

You saying 21:9 monitors have no place in the PC world is laughable and the worst hot take I've read on the web in a while.  Nice job.  It's not easy to have one of the worst hot takes on the web in 2021.

Tyler

Quote from: Rich4143 on April 01, 2021, 21:10:33
Don't mean to be pessimistic, but IMO, 21:9 has no place in the PC world. 21:9 only makes sense for movie watching. PC users aren't racing out to get monitors...for movie quality displays. Also, I find the advertisement humorous with them showing the outline of a 16:9 display in a 21:9 box. In case you are wondering, that would make the 16:9 outline, a 24" monitor. So ya, comparing a 29.5" monitor to 24" definitely means you are getting more screen real estate. A 27" 16:9 monitor, the trade-offs aren't so drastic. Furthermore, if you compared a 32" 16:9 monitor to this one, you would actually get the same width with more vertical space.

Yeah you're actually completely wrong. 21:9 is objectively better in every way and that's just a fact.

I made an account and signed up for this BS just so I could stop your blatant misinformation.

Rich4143

Quote from: Rinzler on April 02, 2021, 06:36:58
Moron.  Clearly you're not a gamer and you're commenting on a gaming monitor.  Being able to see more on the sides is a huge advantage for FPS games and offers more immersion in any game.  Aspect ratio is everything when it comes to gaining an advantage in FPS games.

You saying 21:9 monitors have no place in the PC world is laughable and the worst hot take I've read on the web in a while.  Nice job.  It's not easy to have one of the worst hot takes on the web in 2021.

I see both of you guys managed to ignore my main argument and the fact that I put in all caps IMO. Seems like a struck a chord with 21:9 monitor owners playing Overwatch. You can only realistically compare this 29.5 widescreen monitor with a 27" or a 32". At 32", since that is the only next step from 27", you get the same width of this monitor, but more vertical space. Of course you get more real estate on the sides, because they are comparing their monitor to a 24" 16:9. Do the math, draw it out for my sake. I can make that same venn diagram from the perspetive of a 32" monitor with the shorter 21:9 inside. I am a gamer, just not a competitive one. But

Rich4143

Quote from: Rich4143 on April 02, 2021, 19:39:43
Quote from: Rinzler on April 02, 2021, 06:36:58

I see both of you guys managed to ignore my main argument and the fact that I put in all caps IMO. Seems like a struck a chord with 21:9 monitor owners playing Overwatch. You can only realistically compare this 29.5 widescreen monitor with a 27" or a 32". At 32", since that is the only next step from 27", you get the same width of this monitor, but more vertical space. Of course you get more real estate on the sides, because they are comparing their monitor to a 24" 16:9. Do the math, draw it out for my sake. I can make that same venn diagram from the perspetive of a 32" monitor with the shorter 21:9 inside. I am a gamer, just not a competitive one. But

And even at 32", bump up the FOV and you get even more immersive with extra vertical space.

Rinzler

It's crazy to see you still posting misinformation.  Good thing you tried to make fun of gamers with your Overwatch comment.  Did that make you feel better.......Again this is a gaming monitor.  Your first post was clearly from a perspective of regular PC users, you clearly being a non gamer, should keep your mouth shut about a product that is not for you.  That alone shows you are a moron or at the very least ignorant.

What's worse is you still continue to post misinformation yet you think you are right.  You make it clear you have no idea how an FOV slider works compared to the aspect ratio of a monitor in games.  A 21:9 monitor with max FOV will always show you more on the sides then a 16:9 monitor at max FOV not matter how big the monitor is.  Again your explanation justnshows your ignorance on the matter.  That is why a 21:9 monitor requires your graphics card to work 1\3 harder it's simply showing you more pixels.

You will reply with some dumb argument with more misinformation while making fun of gamers no doubt because you are "that guy".  But bottom line is you are wrong.

This is one of the most anticipated monitors to come along in the gaming world in years.

Stay in your lane and you may not sound like such an idiot next time.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview