News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 1 Laptop Review: AMD workstation sans dedicated GPU

Started by Redaktion, March 23, 2021, 20:55:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 1 is being sold with Intel and with AMD CPUs. We take a look at the AMD variant, which does not feature a dedicated GPU - peculiar for a workstation. We also test the ThinkPad PrivacyGuard screen.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P14s-Gen-1-Laptop-Review-AMD-workstation-sans-dedicated-GPU.528746.0.html

P14sAMD_questioner

So I am looking at the other screen options and I just noticed that some are described as "low power", does someone know what it means?

For instance:
Quote14.0" FHD (1920x1080) Low Power IPS 400nits Anti-glare

Benjamin Herzig

Low Power screens are optimized for a lower power consumption. This is done by using IGZO or LTPS IPS LCD screens.

Rayray89

Not sure why it got rated 84% when things like thinkpad e14 gen 2 gets 86% ? Is this a solid recommendation? I'm really mitigated between the t14s amd and this... did the privacy e screen lower the score or something?

Benjamin Herzig

@Rayray89,
It is rated as a workstation. For a workstation, the GPU performance is not great and that is a key reason why the total rating isn't higher.

If this was rated as an office laptop, the rating would have been higher. But it is sold as a workstation, so we rate it as a workstation.

Indycat

Quote from: Schmellow on March 23, 2021, 22:37:34
This laptop is literally max-specced rebranded T14

I've heard that before. But if so, then why does it battery last such a short time compared to plain T14?

Indycat

Quote from: Indycat on March 28, 2021, 18:04:43
I've heard that before. But if so, then why does its battery last such a short time compared to plain T14?

Got it now. It's the privacy screen. Or at least so they're saying in the article. Guess it wastes some display brightness and therefore needs more power.

Jakob P

Now that Gen 2 AMD machines are coming out, it's worth noting that Lenovo hasn't managed to fix the abysmal power consumption for T14/P14s devices in sleep state - 1.26 W for Windows ("S0ix" sleep) and 1.7 W for Linux ("S3" sleep, supposed to be deeper sleep) as per the long-running forum thread: forums.lenovo.com/topic/findpost/27/5037674/5360771

This seems to affect also T14s and X13 devices, and is kind of a deal-breaker given that one would not expect laptops to die in sleep mode in less than two days. When you're testing Gen 2 devices, please pay special attention to this issue as it's kind of a deal-breaker for many people. Especially since Lenovo's Intel devices or HP's AMD devices both manage power consumption below 500 mW.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview