News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro complete specs revealed by T-Mobile ahead of March 23 launch

Started by Redaktion, March 21, 2021, 19:03:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Complete specifications of the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro are now listed on T-Mobile just ahead of their March 23 launch. The OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro feature a near-identical spec sheet with the primary differences being with respect to the display and camera setup.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/OnePlus-9-and-OnePlus-9-Pro-complete-specs-revealed-by-T-Mobile-ahead-of-March-23-launch.528662.0.html

vertigo

And still no card slot, not that I'm surprised. I just don't get how a company that's supposedly all for rooting, etc just absolutely refuses to add such a minor feature that's all but required for flashing ROMs, not to mention the benefit of the cheap extra storage. OnePlus has really lost their way.

spetke

Quote from: vertigo on March 22, 2021, 05:33:31
And still no card slot, not that I'm surprised. I just don't get how a company that's supposedly all for rooting, etc just absolutely refuses to add such a minor feature that's all but required for flashing ROMs, not to mention the benefit of the cheap extra storage. OnePlus has really lost their way.

What do you mean required?  By no means is it a necessary feature on a phone that has decently sized and usually faster and more reliable internal storage.

Anonym

You are definitely doing it wrong if you require an SD card to flash ROMs. Furthermore, if you can't plan ahead and now the internal storage is not enough, you can just use an inexpensive USB-C pendrive to move stuff around (or even try to record directly that extra large video). It's far more convenient to insert/remove than the SD card, you can get way faster storage than the best SD cards (e.g., Samsung external SSDs), and does not require a SIM card opener or fiddling with the card tray.

The bottom line is easy to follow. If you really must use an "internal" SD card then get a cheaper phone that won't get bottlenecked by that choice (you really don't need the best SoC because that SD card will be the limiting factor, win-win for your wallet).

vertigo

Quote from: spetke on March 22, 2021, 13:49:19
Quote from: vertigo on March 22, 2021, 05:33:31

What do you mean required?  By no means is it a necessary feature on a phone that has decently sized and usually faster and more reliable internal storage.

Quote from: Anonym on March 22, 2021, 15:01:39
You are definitely doing it wrong if you require an SD card to flash ROMs. Furthermore, if you can't plan ahead and now the internal storage is not enough, you can just use an inexpensive USB-C pendrive to move stuff around (or even try to record directly that extra large video). It's far more convenient to insert/remove than the SD card, you can get way faster storage than the best SD cards (e.g., Samsung external SSDs), and does not require a SIM card opener or fiddling with the card tray.

The bottom line is easy to follow. If you really must use an "internal" SD card then get a cheaper phone that won't get bottlenecked by that choice (you really don't need the best SoC because that SD card will be the limiting factor, win-win for your wallet).

"Required" because when flashing, it would be nice to not have to copy all the user data off the phone only to copy it back on after flashing. And the whole argument that SD storage is unnecessary or even bad because it's slower is missing the point. Fast storage isn't needed for documents, music, videos, etc, and it certainly doesn't bottleneck things and be the "limiting factor" thereby meaning you don't need as fast of a CPU. Whether or not there's an SD slot, the OS and apps will still be on the fast internal storage, and so there will be no more or less of a storage bottleneck either way. The SD card is for data and, just like on a computer where I keep the OS and apps on an SSD and videos, documents, videos, backup images, etc on HDDs because I don't feel like spending tens of thousands of dollars to store it all on SSDs for almost zero benefit, I don't want to spend an extra $50-200 for more internal storage on the phone when a $25 card would give me more storage, I could transfer it between devices, including to a new phone or when I want to temporarily switch to a different phone (which I've done), and it would in no way slow things down. People that argue that clearly don't understand how storage actually works. And removing/inserting a card is not hard at all, it takes literally 10 seconds or less, and then you don't have to deal with a thumb drive sticking out of your phone.

Anonym

You should learn about ADB and how to flash your phone like a developer. At most, you only need the USB cable. Not even that, if you do it properly through recovery.

Furthermore, manufacturers already heard about your needs and make cheaper phones for your use-case. Otherwise, the USB-C flash drive already does all that. Recording 4K video or making multi-shot HDR photography is quite demanding on the storage, and there are noticeable slowdowns when using the SD card "just for data". There is no cabal here, you either get used to the reality or save even more money by getting the cheaper phone -- it truly is win-win for you, don't know what you are complaining about.

vertigo

Quote from: Anonym on March 22, 2021, 19:03:48
You should learn about ADB and how to flash your phone like a developer. At most, you only need the USB cable. Not even that, if you do it properly through recovery.

Furthermore, manufacturers already heard about your needs and make cheaper phones for your use-case. Otherwise, the USB-C flash drive already does all that. Recording 4K video or making multi-shot HDR photography is quite demanding on the storage, and there are noticeable slowdowns when using the SD card "just for data". There is no cabal here, you either get used to the reality or save even more money by getting the cheaper phone -- it truly is win-win for you, don't know what you are complaining about.

I feel like you didn't even read my reply. I'm familiar with ADB and use it. That has nothing to do with keeping tens of GB of data (docs, music, videos, pictures, etc) on the phone, which you then have to deal with when flashing. And as I said, I don't want a flash drive sticking out of my phone, especially when I can just have a card inside the phone that serves the same purpose. I don't record in 4K or do multi-shot anything, much less HDR, but if I did either, and even when I'm recording in 1080p or anything else that the card can't keep up with, I just do that to internal storage and copy it to the card after. It's not complicated. And by the way, I've tested it, and even a somewhat older and slower card by today's standards (bought roughly 2016) is able to perform similarly to the internal storage for multi-shot up to around 20 or 30 shots. And no, there is no slowdown when using an SD card for storage. If you're not running stuff off of it, then it can't possibly slow things down. Sure, it takes an extra half-second or so to start playback of music or videos, and it takes a little longer to load image thumbnails, but it doesn't slow down the normal, day-to-day use of the phone at all, and people need to stop spreading that misinformation. If you believe that, and that it somehow bottlenecks the CPU, you must also believe that having platter drives in my computer slows it down and there's no point in running anything more than a Celeron because my high-end CPU is bottlenecked by my user data being on a HDD, despite the fact the OS and apps are running off an NVMe drive.

And just because some cheaper phones have card slots, doesn't mean I should have to deal with a crap phone just for that, not to mention many of them don't meet other requirements I have for a phone. OnePlus is the one with the "Never Settle" slogan, so all I'm saying is why are they asking us to settle then? I'm not sure why you're getting so offended by my desiring a card slot. Clearly, you don't want one, but if it was there, nobody would force you to use it. You do realize that, right? They could add it and you could just keep using your flash drives and cables, whereas I could just put a $25 card in and have an extra 128 or 256GB of storage for all my files. That's a win-win.

nadiva

Of course sd card would help. Let's not pretend it's not useful and cut this adb lecturing nonsense. You can keep your backups and root files there, and eventually use them when not having PC around. Always served me with dozens of rooted phones. For oneplus i now have to take USB-C flash drive with me, of course I'd prefer sd card and I think it will come back to oneplus 10. Meanwhile I switched to Note but u will buy 9 as well because it's a tip flagship.

nadiva

* i will buy (typo)
I also want Xperia 1iii with sd card
And then i want oneplus 10 with sd card and camera under display. Watch sd card come back!

vertigo

Quote from: nadiva on March 23, 2021, 03:27:11
Of course sd card would help. Let's not pretend it's not useful and cut this adb lecturing nonsense. You can keep your backups and root files there, and eventually use them when not having PC around. Always served me with dozens of rooted phones. For oneplus i now have to take USB-C flash drive with me, of course I'd prefer sd card and I think it will come back to oneplus 10. Meanwhile I switched to Note but u will buy 9 as well because it's a tip flagship.

Do you have a specific reason to believe it's coming back or just wishful thinking? I've been eyeing OnePlus since the 6, and passed on that, the 6T, and so on, simply because of the lack of this one feature. Unfortunately, I'm at the point I really need to upgrade, since my phone has become so slow that it's borderline useless. So I have to decide between a 256GB OnePlus, since 128 is simply not enough, or a smaller capacity Samsung (and I hate Samsung) with a card slot. It'll probably come down to price.

I actually stopped at a T-Mobile store today and spent some hands-on time with the OnePlus 8 and 8T today for the first time ever. Not enough to really get a feel for the differences from Samsung and others, but I was pleasantly surprised to find they have a setting that allows you to remove the useless battery icon when displaying the % (never understood why that's not a feature in basic Android), but disappointed to see they haven't added an option to move the clock back over to the right.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview