News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Motorola brings new DeX-like functionality to the Edge Plus with 'Ready For'; turns your phone into a PC

Started by Redaktion, March 18, 2021, 06:24:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Motorola has introduced a new PC-like desktop environment for its Moto Edge Plus flagship smartphone. The functionality dubbed 'Ready For' gives users the ability to plug in their smartphone to a keyboard, mouse and display similar to Samsung's Dex environment.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Motorola-brings-new-DeX-like-functionality-to-the-Edge-Plus-with-Ready-For-turns-your-phone-into-a-PC.528185.0.html

vertigo

Quote from: xpclient on March 18, 2021, 18:21:37
This should come standard on every Android, not just the flagships.

Google will probably build it into Android in five years and make it half as good as the existing solutions, like they always do.

The issue I have with this is the requirement of a special dock, which really limits its usefulness. It should just be able to be plugged into a monitor with USB-C, and it should have a wireless capability. Granted, that would require monitors to have Wi-Fi chips built in, but that would probably quickly become standard--or at least a slot to install one yourself--in that case.

Faris Hanafiah

Quote from: vertigo on March 20, 2021, 05:17:32

Google will probably build it into Android in five years and make it half as good as the existing solutions, like they always do.

The issue I have with this is the requirement of a special dock, which really limits its usefulness. It should just be able to be plugged into a monitor with USB-C, and it should have a wireless capability. Granted, that would require monitors to have Wi-Fi chips built in, but that would probably quickly become standard--or at least a slot to install one yourself--in that case.

You don't have to own that special dock, it's just an optional accessory. As long as the phone supports USB3 video output, you really are ready to go. You can even use Samsung DeX or Huawei EMUI Desktop (aka Easy Projection), and LG Screen+ with just a cable connected to a monitor. Tim Schofield made a video of Motorola's Ready For feature and he doesn't even use that special dock at all.

vertigo

Quote from: Faris Hanafiah on March 30, 2021, 11:42:55
Quote from: vertigo on March 20, 2021, 05:17:32

You don't have to own that special dock, it's just an optional accessory. As long as the phone supports USB3 video output, you really are ready to go. You can even use Samsung DeX or Huawei EMUI Desktop (aka Easy Projection), and LG Screen+ with just a cable connected to a monitor. Tim Schofield made a video of Motorola's Ready For feature and he doesn't even use that special dock at all.

Hmm. That's both great and disappointing to hear. I was looking forward to trying out DeX on my new phone (A71), but like most phones, it's only USB 2. Granted, it's a midrange, but it's also 2021. At this point, all but the cheapest budget phones should have USB 3. So I guess I'll have to wait for my next (hopefully non-Samsung) phone to try this type of feature.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview