News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 mod can reduce VRAM temperatures by up to 25 °C

Started by Redaktion, March 17, 2021, 00:35:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A YouTuber has discovered how to significantly reduce temperatures on the GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition. Replacing the stock thermal pads can drop VRAM temperatures by upwards of 25 °C, allowing the card to be pushed harder before it thermal throttles.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-mod-can-reduce-VRAM-temperatures-by-up-to-25-C.528004.0.html

Justin

For the backside, the Thermal Grizzly mentioned is not thick enough, you want 1.5mm pads. The GOU side cand be 1.5 but fares better with 2mm pads.

Endrac

Justin is correct, the thickness of the thermal pads for the FE cards need to be at least 1.5 mm.  That specific pad linked in the article is electrically conductive, you would NOT want to use that in the areas he outlines in the video.  Plus if you were to use that pad you would need about 8 of those pads,  which would be about $200.
If you want a thermal pad that conducts heat better then that, you should go with the fujipoly ultra extreme.

Justin

I used the Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x1.5mm pads. The Fujipoly would have been better, but also MUCH more expensive.

I tested by Etherum mining: RAM thermal throttled almost immediately at 110ºC as others noted. It has been cold at my house, but am seeing now 90ºC to 94ºC during the day ~24ºC ambient.  Still, I plan on watercooling the gpu with the yet to be released EKWB active (not hybrid, which is due soon) waterblock.

GabrielH

If you use the link included in the article to purchase the thermal pad it recommends, you're going to :
- purchase one of the most expensive thermal pad there is on the market right now
- send some money to notebookcheck, since it's a sponsored link
- kill your GPU, because it's designed to replace thermal compound, not thermal pads : it's not thick enough and it's electrically conducive. It's going to short your card's VRMs and kill it.

Alex Alderson

Quote from: Endrac on March 17, 2021, 03:32:40
Justin is correct, the thickness of the thermal pads for the FE cards need to be at least 1.5 mm.  That specific pad linked in the article is electrically conductive, you would NOT want to use that in the areas he outlines in the video.  Plus if you were to use that pad you would need about 8 of those pads,  which would be about $200.
If you want a thermal pad that conducts heat better then that, you should go with the fujipoly ultra extreme.

Fair point, I've updated the article accordingly.

John Andersen

I also run into the 110 degrees "issue" on my RTX 3090 TUF OC. Doesn't matter a whole lot to me honestly, but for some it would be annoying.

Justin

Keep in mind the Fujipoly pads are VERY hard to work with compared to the Thermalright pads. The Fujipoly pads will cost $150 for coverage, the Thermalright will be $45. Fujipoly pads are $.0134/mm^2, and Thermalright are $.0039/mm^2

neoflo22

So I should use the Thermalright's Odyssey Thermal Pad or the Fujipoly? I'm kind of confused by the back and fourth chat in here.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview