News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD launches its Ryzen PRO 5000 Mobile series, promising Cezanne-level upgrades for next-gen business laptops

Started by Redaktion, March 16, 2021, 15:46:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD has now made its 2021 line of Ryzen PRO mobile processors official. The OEM claims they build on the considerable leap in productivity-focused performance made by their 4000-series predecessors. This includes gains of up to 65% over the Intel Core i7-1185G7 in certain benchmarks, as well as reduced app-opening latency and improved performance in some MS Office tasks.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-launches-its-Ryzen-PRO-5000-Mobile-series-promising-Cezanne-level-upgrades-for-next-gen-business-laptops.527973.0.html

izaic3

Anonym

As a "PRO" here is what matters to me and remains unclear from the press release:

- Did AMD upgrade the Vega iGPU VCN to 3.x, therefore supporting AV-1 hardware decoding? Have they improved the hardware encoders to be saner for video conferencing softwares (rather than just boasting about very impressive but useless in the real-world feats such as 8x 8K h265 hardware decoding and such)? It cannot be a "PRO" product if it fails to acknowledge the needs and importance of videoconferencing, especially in these times.

- Does it finally have proper connectivity with USB 4 support built-in? You should not call this a "PRO" product if you do not support fully the professional docking solutions. Can it finally drive two 4K@60hz displays, or is that still Intel-only?

_MT_

Quote from: Anonym on March 17, 2021, 13:12:13
As a "PRO" here is what matters to me and remains unclear from the press release:
In these respects, it's no different to other 5000 series Ryzens. PRO refers to management features, perhaps some extra security, that sort of thing. Essentially a counterpart to Intel's vPro. It's not really aimed at professionals as such as much as at corporations.

xpclient

Quote from: Anonym on March 17, 2021, 13:12:13

- Did AMD upgrade the Vega iGPU VCN to 3.x, therefore supporting AV-1 hardware decoding? Have they improved the hardware encoders to be saner for video conferencing softwares (rather than just boasting about very impressive but useless in the real-world feats such as 8x 8K h265 hardware decoding and such)? It cannot be a "PRO" product if it fails to acknowledge the needs and importance of videoconferencing, especially in these times.

- Does it finally have proper connectivity with USB 4 support built-in? You should not call this a "PRO" product if you do not support fully the professional docking solutions. Can it finally drive two 4K@60hz displays, or is that still Intel-only?

I agree but at least you can get a better hardware encoder+decoder by combining AMD processors with Nvidia RTX 30 Series GPUs. No Thunderbolt 3, USB4/Thunderbolt 4, or at least USB 3.x Gen2x2 is inexcusable though.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview