News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Crazy mineral oil rig with eight Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards could be the future of cryptocurrency mining

Started by Redaktion, March 14, 2021, 15:52:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A bunch of Vietnamese cryptocurrency miners quite literally have taken PC hardware to new depths by submerging eight Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards in mineral oil. While their operating parameters are not visible, empirical data tells us that mineral oil can cool PC components with the same efficiency as air or water. Some components also last longer due to the constant, uniform cooling offered by the medium.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Crazy-mineral-oil-rig-with-eight-Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3090-graphics-cards-could-be-the-future-of-cryptocurrency-mining.527719.0.html

L

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't mineral oil degrade plastic parts? I think it was the case when Linus tested it and the ram slots were unusable or at least the latches were coming off.

kek

Quote from: L on March 14, 2021, 21:45:11
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't mineral oil degrade plastic parts? I think it was the case when Linus tested it and the ram slots were unusable or at least the latches were coming off.

It also attacks some types of metal.

dds

Interesting cooling solution. Wish all these GPUs were used for doing actual useful work instead of mining volatile currencies.

Old tech

Not exactly new ideas here... I've got an old gtx 970 that was part of someones mineral oil computer before I bought it and put a fan back on it. This is old and been done to death.

Zach Swartwood

It actually makes perfect sense for mining. The cost of 8 3090 waterblocks easially offsets the cost of the oil. Instead of using many costly pc radiators, you could use one large cheap oil cooler. In a few years when you get new cards you won't even have to get new waterblocks.

JJames

"And add some curly fries. Oh, how do you heat your oil?"
"Curly fries it is. So, we just use 8 crypto-mining GPUs in our fryers."
:o ::)

WP

Kysminer

It's because of these idiots that we don't have graphics cards, on top of that they are running them non stop and killing the environment. These people are criminals and crypto mining should be illegal, f*** you miners.

kony

I can't wait for the day of crypto-crash, it can't come soon enough. I guess it's not gonna happen this year though.

Andy777

Quote from: Kysminer on March 15, 2021, 08:38:16
It's because of these idiots that we don't have graphics cards, on top of that they are running them non stop and killing the environment. These people are criminals and crypto mining should be illegal, f*** you miners.

Come on, it can't be true! Nvidia told us recently that miners are less than 10% of theirs income. Didn't they?
So I assume the rest are gamers.

Blake

I would like to turn that oil into a deep fryer and fry those cards since gamers aren't gunna see those cards anyway

scottrichard1986

why is everyone complaining, do you have the money for a 3090 to game on?, i doubt it i would be more annoyed at the scalpers using bots over miners any day, mining used cards are a god send on the used market, i had to buy a 3090 as i didnt want to pay scalper prices for a 3070 or 3080 so yes i mine to make up the difference

Paul Beckett

There is an ocean floor survey company based in Perth who built a mineral oil immersed server for seismology in Perth, then a 2nd in the States I believe. DUG but they have a fancy name for their mineral oil and seem to have grown exponentially since i last checked them out. https: //dug. com/dug-cool/

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview