News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple M1 silicon upsets the establishment by skipping past the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and coming close to Intel Core i7-11700K single-thread performance on PassMark

Started by Redaktion, March 06, 2021, 23:42:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Apple M1 SoC, also frequently known as Apple Silicon, has made a ground-breaking entry into PassMark's CPU Mark chart for single-thread performance. The Apple M1's rating placed it above the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and nipping at the heels of the Intel Core i7-11700K, thus unsettling the AMD/Intel establishment with its presence.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-M1-silicon-upsets-the-establishment-by-skipping-past-the-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X-and-coming-close-to-Intel-Core-i7-11700K-single-thread-performance-on-PassMark.526563.0.html

t4n0n

Shrimasis

To those who are saying x64 is dead, apple M1 is based on a 5nm process while current top x64 CPUs are made of 7nm process. Apple M1's lead is temporary as 5nm x64 CPUs are coming soon.

ChewsterBacca

Why are they comparing a laptop processor against a desktop processor?
Compare it to the 5800u?

And why do we care about less than 1% single CPU when it got killed on multicpu?

Oh yeah, Apple won the drag race by a nose when we pulled 7 spark plugs wires but got creamed when we ran on all 8!

Ian

Interesting, but misleading article. This is a result of a limited single test where you compare apples with oranges. Yes, ARM could perform close to x86 under certain scenario, but then fall miles behind where acceleration is needed utilizing specific x86 instructions. Those chips are great for general purpose applications, but that's it. If you need conplex calculations ARM chips can't do much due to the limited instruction set.

Psiboy

When do the idiot media stop reporting on irrelevant single freaking core performance! As tech journalists I expect you have an IQ above -5. Bunch of retarded mongs!

SamF

Quote from: Ian on March 07, 2021, 18:45:31
Those chips are great for general purpose applications, but that's it.

"Don't get too excited, only people that need to use their computer for general purposes will benefit from this chip!"

Russe77

This will matter as soon as everyone rewrites their software to run natively on ARM and can run natively. Until then the performance cost of the emulator tilts the playing field in the favor of AMD/Intel.

Crow

These comments are hilarious (to and for the M1). This is a first gen chip and those in favor of overlooking the details are kidding themselves. Intel and AMD have been at this game for half a century at least. Apple comes along and kicks dirt in their face, but the facts are, the big guys blinded themselves long before. I LOVE AMD and have supported then for a long time. What I enjoy seeing here is intel finally having someone other than AMD to worry about in certain markets.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview