News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Core i7-11700K early review: Performance regression together with high temps and power draws puts Rocket Lake at a disadvantage over the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Started by Redaktion, March 06, 2021, 09:21:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Anandtech has managed to procure a Core i7-11700K retail unit via Mindfactory and found that Intel's Rocket Lake-S CPU suffers from high power draws and high temperatures indicating the pitfalls of backporting a 10 nm architecture to 14 nm. The Core i7-11700K did have a significant advantage in the esoteric AVX-512 tests but fell behind the Ryzen 7 5800X in a majority of CPU benchmarks. Despite claims of a 19% IPC uplift, gaming performance took a hit due to higher L3 cache latency.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-11700K-early-review-Performance-regression-together-with-high-temps-and-power-draws-puts-Rocket-Lake-at-a-disadvantage-over-the-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X.526424.0.html

Grinnie Jax

What a joke. Damn hot, 200W+, slower inter-core relations, and even fewer cores than in Comet. And when I told Intelboys that Rocket - is just a plug for investors that they've presented something in 2021 - they always shouted that it'd be such a great gaming CPU blah blah.. you know the mantra. Probably, we won't see Alder until 2022, and Intel has to present at least something, even though it doesn't have any response to AMD's last year's CPUs.

Razer sharp blade V7

0 WHEAs per second though... everything is a joke now, overpriced Zen2 with faulty boosting, unobtainium Zen3 with faulty firmware, questionable upcoming Rocket... only Comet seems okay but so long as people have 2 to 3-year throttled reaction to things happening around them, they'll fail to see the picture outside of Ryzen (4 whole years after it shot)
Regards, 1700 user

DAVID SALSERO

Broja has missed 2 little things.
Whoever already has an Intel motherboard cannot use this 11th Generation which forces a motherboard to be changed.
That is, PLATE = € 300 + CHIP € 469 = € 769 and without counting heatsink, Ram, SSD ... etc ...
The processor with less life, in 8 MONTHS the 12th Generation comes out with DDR5 + Pci 5.0 + USB 4
And finally, we do not know the prices in SPAIN.

I wonder if in INTEL there is a conspiracy to SELF DESTROY, because I do not understand it is ALL NEGATIVE of this processor.

JayN

"...did have a significant advantage in the esoteric AVX-512"

nothing really esoteric about it.  Intel just has wider SIMD than AMD has implemented.  Rumors are that zen4 will finally move to the avx512 width.

While it has been limited mostly to servers, Intel has had avx512 in laptop chips since ice lake (2019).  The combo of avx512 and dlboost (int8) operations is great for ai inference, which is finding its way into many applications. 

Scyndek

lol Posted on userbenchmark comment section for this processor

I said it was bullshit that userbenchmark had this listed at #1 for processors and said it should almost be considered illegal and what they are doing is manipulating public opinion and posted the review stating check for yourself.

Of course I was promptly blacklisted and they banned my IP Range for speaking the truth. The comment was barely there for 5 minutes before that happened. Sigh

GJ

Quote from: Scyndek on March 06, 2021, 18:10:53
lol Posted on userbenchmark comment section for this processor

I said it was bullshit that userbenchmark had this listed at #1 for processors and said it should almost be considered illegal and what they are doing is manipulating public opinion and posted the review stating check for yourself.

Of course I was promptly blacklisted and they banned my IP Range for speaking the truth. The comment was barely there for 5 minutes before that happened. Sigh
UselessBenchmark is a scam, and pretty aggressive scam I would say. So don't bother.

Jon Smyth

This performance is terrible for having waited so long for a new Intel arch. This is more like garbage lake. Actually with the 293 watt power consumption max, it is more like burning garbage lake. Stop polluting the world, Intel! This kind of power consumption is just what the world needs to change the climate faster, yay!

pdx

Quote from: JayN on March 06, 2021, 17:48:42
"...did have a significant advantage in the esoteric AVX-512"

nothing really esoteric about it.  Intel just has wider SIMD than AMD has implemented.  Rumors are that zen4 will finally move to the avx512 width.

While it has been limited mostly to servers, Intel has had avx512 in laptop chips since ice lake (2019).  The combo of avx512 and dlboost (int8) operations is great for ai inference, which is finding its way into many applications.

Sane developers are offloading that work to GPU's with their power efficient data delivery and execution.  AVX-512 being a marketing gimmick and you are still talking garbage as usual.

Grinnie Jax

Quote from: Jon Smyth on March 06, 2021, 20:31:28
Stop polluting the world, Intel! This kind of power consumption is just what the world needs to change the climate faster, yay!
Indeed, Intel's "newest tech" requiring x2 times higher power than AMD's last year's tech for slightly worse results - this is just ridiculous. Imagine some car consumed x2 petroleum for slightly less power compared to the other car. Who would take it? But Intel guys don't care for such a thing - just pair 300W CPU with 400W GPU and you can save on central heating.

GMEtoTHEmoon

OMG, was waiting for Rocket Lake, but now I'm totally disappointed.
I don't wait for the i9 11900k reviews, this thing does not deserve to be an i9, it should be called Bulldozer or central heating unit.
I was expecting 5-10% higher FPS in games them Ryzek, but it looses in pretty much all categories, even to their own predecessors. What a joke.

It also tells me even more that Userbenchmark is scam and market manipulation. They are trying to fool people with a ranking system that doesn't make sense.

Will stick with a 5800x/5900x then for the 6900XT on my shelf.

Thanks for the early review, Ian.

KZBFF ELF

Now that's really worrying... Intel is on course to lose market share continuously for at least 3 years.

George

Well i have a week now 11700k with dark rock pro 4. At Cinebench  the max temp i got was 66 C and on AIDA 72C.
I have no idea how this can suck at gaming (i have rtx3070 ti) when i can play Cyberpunk with 120-130 fps.
Before the purchase i was between 11700k and 5800x, totally not regretting getting it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview