News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nintendo Switch with upgraded 7-inch OLED display, 4K support coming later this year

Started by Redaktion, March 04, 2021, 07:26:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The rumored Nintendo Switch upgrade looks like it might finally arrive later this year. According to Bloomberg, the new model will bring an upgraded 7-inch OLED display and support for 4K gaming.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nintendo-Switch-with-upgraded-7-inch-OLED-display-4K-support-coming-later-this-year.526191.0.html

mvl

I'm definitely curious about the new Switch, simply because I want to know which hardware it will pack! I can't figure it out. NVIDIA has the Jetson Xavier NX modules, that it could cut down. You get Tensor Cores which would help with upscaling but Volta was never an architecture for gaming and power consumption is still high-ish and I don't imagine NVIDIA doing a node shrink just for Nintendo, even though they did it in 2019 for the refreshed Switch. Turing architecture is obviously out, since packing RT cores makes no sense. Pascal would not be that much of an upgrade. Anyways a bit more memory and bandwidth and faster loading are always welcome. This should at least be doable without issues.

kek

>OLED

my lord, why??? and being a Samsung OLED means it will have that nasty pentile & PWM thing.

>720p

Ok, I'm out. 720p in a pentile OLED screen is nasty as it goes. The only interesting bit is to see if they upgrade the internals.

capnkimo

expecting high demand for this. just hope scalpers wont make it too difficult for consumers

krash3x

I really hope it's not an OLED screen.  I have an OLED television and a phone with an OLED screen, and I'm scared that I'm going to burn in a status bar or an icon.  Since burn in is accumulative on OLED, it's inevitable no matter how careful, or dark your screen is.  That sub pixel is slowly losing luminosity. 

S.Yu

Quote from: kek on March 04, 2021, 17:56:55
>OLED

my lord, why??? and being a Samsung OLED means it will have that nasty pentile & PWM thing.

>720p

Ok, I'm out. 720p in a pentile OLED screen is nasty as it goes. The only interesting bit is to see if they upgrade the internals.
If I'm reading this correctly it has a native 4K screen, and 720P rendering will still look more natural on 4K resolution, and pentile is not an issue at this density.
And all OLED have PWM, keeping away from the lowest 10-30% brightness should avoid most eye strain.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview