News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel's new adverts claim that Windows laptops are better options than Apple MacBooks for content creators and gamers

Started by Redaktion, February 12, 2021, 21:33:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple was a loyal customer of Intel for 15 years, but the former has now pivoted to using in-house processors. Now Intel has looked re-ignite the old Mac vs PC debate in its latest adverts, where it claims Windows laptops are superior than Apple MacBooks for gamers and content creators.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-s-new-adverts-claim-that-Windows-laptops-are-better-options-than-Apple-MacBooks-for-content-creators-and-gamers.520021.0.html

Sinocelt

What these ads really say is "We don't expect to be able to produce a processor near as good as the M1 in the foreseeable future. Also, let's pretend AMD doesn't exist. Please."

I've never owned a Mac, I'm deeply invested in the Windows ecosystem, yet even I find myself tempted by the new MacBook Air, with its high fanless performance.

My hope is that AMD will produce something as good soon. But seeing as Rembrandt will use an improved Zen 3, not Zen 4, I'm less than entirely optimistic.

ariliquin

The tone of Intel's marketing reveals how powerless they are to compete with the physics of EUV at high yield. TSMC is the undisputed world leader in EUV manufactured chips supplying AMD, Apple and others.

Intel will not catch up for several years. Combine this with Apples design, innovation and human experience focus, we see the next few years dominated by Apple in the consumer space and AMD in the server space. I am a Windows user and gamer and I am sorely tempted by the 5nm M1. Apple will always be at least 6 months ahead of AMD with TSMC manufacturer due to volume and being the preferred customer due to Apples commitment to them. 

I laugh ever time I hear AMD compared "favourable" to intel, its not even a competition at this point when you take into consideration het, power drain, throttling and performance. Intel is not even close, the media needs to stop perpetuating this perception they are. When it comes to compact performance Intel lost 12 months ago to AMD. Only thing keeping them in the game is AMD supply shortages and lack of Thunderbolt 3 or USB 4.

The greatest threat to AMD is Intel collaborating with TSMC and combining the worlds best EUV process with the worlds best packaging technology. Given TSMC is at capacity it is not likely to happen in any meaningful way any time soon.

JayN

"Their wording also opens Intel to comparisons between its Tiger Lake chipsets and AMD's recent Ryzen APUs"

I don't think Intel fears that comparison.

AMD's APUs lack several features in Tiger Lake:
PCIE4, AVX512, dlboost, lpddr5 support, Thunderbolt 4, hardware AV1 decode, 8K60 display support

_MT_

Quote from: ariliquin on February 13, 2021, 02:16:00
Combine this with Apples design, innovation and human experience focus, we see the next few years dominated by Apple in the consumer space and AMD in the server space. I am a Windows user and gamer and I am sorely tempted by the 5nm M1
I laugh ever time I hear AMD compared "favourable" to intel, its not even a competition at this point when you take into consideration het, power drain, throttling and performance. Intel is not even close, the media needs to stop perpetuating this perception they are. When it comes to compact performance Intel lost 12 months ago to AMD. Only thing keeping them in the game is AMD supply shortages and lack of Thunderbolt 3 or USB 4.

The greatest threat to AMD is Intel collaborating with TSMC and combining the worlds best EUV process with the worlds best packaging technology. Given TSMC is at capacity it is not likely to happen in any meaningful way any time soon.
Perhaps in the US, but in general, Apple is fairly weak in the PC space. And they're not cheap - meaning outside the price range many people shop. Personally, I don't really have a problem with prices of the base models. Perhaps premium but not outrageous. It's the RAM and storage that is bonkers. Just yesterday, I bought 2 TB 970 Evo Plus for less than €300 and 64 GB (2x32) HyperX SODIMM with proper JEDEC 3200 (not XMP) for another €300. Paired with 4750G. Those are good local prices (including VAT, recycling fees and everything). Reputable brands, not the cheap stuff. Apple currently wants €230 per 512 GB of storage and the same per 8 GB of RAM in the Mac mini. I also like the MBA - primarily for the passive cooling while retaining decent performance. But the pricing is out of this world.

In the server space, it's not that easy. I love Epyc. But some systems are just not available in an AMD version. And Intel does have some advantages which can make up for some of the weaknesses. For example, the Optane DIMMs are pretty sweet. If I want to build with AMD, I have to make compromises. Usually, it results in a mix of AMD and Intel. For example, storage servers I use are only available with Intel powered controllers. And that's an application where Optane shines.

That's not that simple either. How many consumers will appreciate 8 cores in an ultrabook or NUC-sized computer. And how many will appreciate hardware accelerated AV1 decoding, for example? Personally, I think these little things are even more important than TB4/ USB4. How many people watch YouTube vs. how many people run eGPU or 10 Gb/s Ethernet. Of course, that's a small detail that many might be unaware of. I think AMD is making stupid mistakes. The performance is great but it's like they don't understand the market. If I was buying a computer for my mother, for example, AMD doesn't have a strong case. She would never utilize the performance of a 4700U or 4800U. Not to mention the much narrower choice and much poorer availability. It's funny when I can more easily source a 4750G intended for OEMs than a consumer box with a 4700U. I guess Intel is ignoring AMD in these adverts because they know that if a consumer goes to buy a laptop, they're very likely to end up with an Intel system. Especially so in retail environment. But thanks to lockdowns, that has been dampened. They've a larger selection, nicer systems (that aim to compete with Apple), better availability and better training for sales people.

If Intel really wanted to utilize TSMC's nodes at large scale, I would think that licensing the technology and manufacturing at Intel's facilities is the best option. But I'm not familiar with the time scales and what free resources Intel has (I do know they have converted some disused fabrication plants into data centers for their supercomputers so they might have suitable facilities already standing).

Wooty

pdx

Quote from: JayN on February 13, 2021, 04:59:27
"Their wording also opens Intel to comparisons between its Tiger Lake chipsets and AMD's recent Ryzen APUs"

I don't think Intel fears that comparison.

AMD's APUs lack several features in Tiger Lake:
PCIE4, AVX512, dlboost, lpddr5 support, Thunderbolt 4, hardware AV1 decode, 8K60 display support

again with regurgitating a bunch of words as if they mean something

like, for example, nobody gives a damn about avx512.  or how dl-boost is just a crutch reactionary measure against real ML accelerator hardware like the NPU on the m1, which TGL lacks entirely.

JohnS

Having used both Mac's and PC's over the years. I don't see either of these platforms changing much. Apple didn't gain a ton more users over the course of the Intel hardware. I think the market share is somewhere around 7% for Mac's and from what I read is now third below Chromebook's. I think the Apple silicon gives a boost to Apple users who have basically bought expensive notebooks with rather weak hardware. I am not convinced it's enough to sway a PC user to switch and it's certainly going to be countered by AMD and Intel in the future. There is no magic involved in hardware. Apple benefits in terms of all encompassing control over everything. Some people like that others do not. Their market share does prove to me that many do not want Mac's no matter what CPU Apple uses.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview