News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD rumored to break the 5 GHz boost barrier with improved Zen 3 CPUs, announcement coming next week

Started by Redaktion, February 12, 2021, 17:14:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The upcoming Rocket Lake desktop CPUs can reach 5.3 GHz boost clocks and Intel hopes to reclaim the single-core crown, but it looks like AMD is ready to announce a countermove that could essentially render the whole Rocket Lake launch pointless.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-rumored-to-break-the-5-GHz-boost-barrier-with-improved-Zen-3-CPUs-announcement-coming-next-week.519887.0.html

Mister2

This might just be binning,  my 5900x boosts to at least 5ghz on 8/12 cores.  4 hit 5.1. And 2 hit 5.15. 

John Savard

While this is a positive development, the fact that more of the new generation of Ryzen chips don't come with stock fans means they're already running hotter, and this shorten's a chips lifespan. Ideally, a processor should never go above 50 degrees C in order to last. When they can go over 5 GHz base clock, not boost clock, at that temperature, then I'll be more excited.

Emmanuel

Well, got all my CPU's overclocked and running in the 80/90c for years. Never got a sign of degradation.

Spunjji

Quote from: John Savard on February 13, 2021, 14:59:11
...the fact that more of the new generation of Ryzen chips don't come with stock fans means they're already running hotter...
Ideally, a processor should never go above 50 degrees C in order to last. When they can go over 5 GHz base clock, not boost clock, at that temperature, then I'll be more excited.

Coming without a stock HSF likely means they're running *cooler*, because fewer end-users will be running high-end chips with inadequate cooling.

You'd struggle to find a modern CPU that stays under 50 degrees at load on the hottest core even with water-cooling, but it's okay, because you're completely wrong about the temperatures at which chips start to become damaged.

You'll be waiting until we've moved away from silicon to see multi-core chips with 5Ghz base clocks that run cooler than 50 degrees C on air, so please don't hold your breath.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview