News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft's next Windows 10 update will kill off the old Edge browser in favor of the new Chromium-based version

Started by Redaktion, February 06, 2021, 11:49:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft is moving to uninstall its Edge Legacy browser from Windows 10 PCs with April's Windows 10 Update Tuesday release. For users that haven't already updated to the new Chromium-based version of the Edge browser, the same update will automatically install it.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-s-next-Windows-10-update-will-kill-off-the-old-Edge-browser-in-favor-of-the-new-Chromium-based-version.518562.0.html

S.Yu

A

@L - They said Chromium, not Chrome. Chromium is the base that Edge and Chrome are based off. And yes it is also its own browser. I use chromium instead of Chrome cause I don't care for the google or microsoft extras.

@S.Yu - Chrome and Chromium use less ram than the old Edge and IE. In general, the reason why modern browsers take up so much ram is due to them running tabs in multiple processes. This makes the browser more stable and secure. If you want to limit ram use, just run the browser in single process mode.

vertigo

How much do you want to bet this change results in the default browser being reset to the new Edge? Forget uninstalling the old version, I wish they would allow us to remove it completely.

S.Yu

Quote from: A on February 06, 2021, 20:27:01
@L - They said Chromium, not Chrome. Chromium is the base that Edge and Chrome are based off. And yes it is also its own browser. I use chromium instead of Chrome cause I don't care for the google or microsoft extras.

@S.Yu - Chrome and Chromium use less ram than the old Edge and IE. In general, the reason why modern browsers take up so much ram is due to them running tabs in multiple processes. This makes the browser more stable and secure. If you want to limit ram use, just run the browser in single process mode.
I looked up a few reviews months ago and not one of them said the Chromium based Edge saves RAM compared to the old one, and some said it uses more RAM, so I stopped keeping track.
I often have dozens of tabs open, and I'm not aware of a single process option, but thanks I'll look into it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview