News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Nano Laptop Review - Less than 1 kg for the Business Subnotebook with LTE

Started by Redaktion, February 03, 2021, 00:35:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo returns to the roots of the X1 series with the new ThinkPad X1 Nano and includes a 13-inch panel with a 16:10 aspect ratio. It weighs less than 1 kg, so it is a very interesting device for mobile users, but the keyboard does not meet the high standard we are used from ThinkPads.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Nano-Laptop-Review-Less-than-1-kg-for-the-Business-Subnotebook-with-LTE.517858.0.html

Dorby

GeneralSoybeans

Quote from: Dorby on February 03, 2021, 01:45:01
Look at the heatpipe touching the battery. That can't be good for their longevity.
I can bet that the battery has some sort of insulation or protection, otherwise it would be a fire hazard every time the CPU reaches high temperatures, and I'm pretty sure Lenovo doesn't want to deal with what Samsung dealt with the Note 7.

GeneralSoybeans

Why do manufacturers make the weirdest decisions? This laptop, to be super thin and super light, has to make sacrifices to the typing experience? I would take a keyboard with some more travel than a laptop that's super thin and light any day of the week. LG managed to make a laptop that weighs about the same as most 13" ultrabooks, but instead, at a 17 inch form factor. Why not just take those engineering tactics and put it into a laptop that's not only thin(ish) and light, but has a good keyboard at the same time?

Worldliner

Making it lighter is the right direction, but making it thinner is not. The latter brings shallower key travel, worse thermals, smaller battery and limited port selection. Don't think the minimal visual improvement is worst that.

Dorby

Lenovo was clearly targeting the MacBook Air, except any consumers coming over from the Air to Windows is not going to buy this over a sea of better lightweight ultraportable laptops.

I'm just thinking the target audience for this device is incredibly small. Traditional Thinkpad users wouldn't get it because of obvious shortcoming compared to something like T14, Mac users jumping ship wouldn't get it because of obvious shortcomings compared to a modern MacBook.

And as GeneralSoybeans points out, LG Gram is equally light at under 1kg and does everything better than the X1 Nano. So again, it's also not for people looking for the best ultra-light laptop.

Other than an avid Thinkpad Fan/Collector, I can't imagine someone using this in the real-world who bought it with their own money.

Mothertrucker19

Interesting device.
I wonder how's performance on different power plan settings.
I just got my X13 Yoga, and it's barely faster than my dual-core SP3 on the battery modes. In order to be really faster, it has to be on max performance mode. And that brings a lot of heat and noise. I think this would be a nice addition to review, especially since other Lenovos have this "problem"
I also had a Acer Spin 5 and that had better performance regardless of power plan setting, and was super quiet and cool.

BaronBunny

For the comparison with 8th gen Intel quad cores you have chosen HP's super throttling notebook that gives about 400 score in Cinebench. Your database contains hundreds of laptops with far higher performance. Lenovo's own Carbon series or T series with 8th Gen scores close to 600. In that case the Tiger lake would be near laughable, so you chose to compare it with a poor example.

Come on, don't be sneaky. We all know NBC is Lenovo (CCP)'s pet dog now.

Future Carbon Owner

Thanks for this review!
Your very positive description of the matte screen makes me really wonder if I should go matte or 4K glossy with the X1 Carbon...

Benjamin Herzig

Quote from: BaronBunny on February 03, 2021, 18:34:12For the comparison with 8th gen Intel quad cores you have chosen HP's super throttling notebook that gives about 400 score in Cinebench.
The HP Elite Dragonfly is the most fitting comparison device from HP, because it competes with the X1 Nano for the same sector (ultra lightweight business laptop).

Quote from: BaronBunny on February 03, 2021, 18:34:12Your database contains hundreds of laptops with far higher performance.
This isn't primarily a CPU review, it is a review of the laptop as a whole.

There are plenty of other comparison devices included in the graph that perform better than the HP Elite Dragonfly.

xpclient

Eww just 2 USB-C ports with TB4, this is not worthy of the ThinkPad name. Trying to copy the bad aspects of Apple won't go well. They should include more ports. Also, the SSD is only M.2 2242 DRAM-less Gen 3 which is another fail. Lower performance, lower endurance than M.2 2280 Gen 3 SSDs. This is more of a concern than having no PCIe 4.0 SSD. RAM is soldered.

Benyamin Limanto

Uhm, could you next time use Firefox as Web Browser tester? Because in new version 100, the battery consumption is less than edge in several case, especially normal streaming, it could be a interesting thing to test on.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview