News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Google closes its Stadia Games & Entertainment Studio less than 14 months after launching its streaming platform

Started by Redaktion, February 02, 2021, 21:20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Google Stadia has already proven itself as a video game streaming service, with triple-A titles like Cyberpunk 2077 having made the jump to the platform. However, its big breakthrough remains a long way off, and the closure of the in-house Stadia Games & Entertainment points to a re-focusing of Stadia just 14 months after its launch.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Google-closes-its-Stadia-Games-Entertainment-Studio-less-than-14-months-after-launching-its-streaming-platform.518007.0.html

vertigo

This is pretty typical for Google. They have a history of starting a project then ditching it a short while later. Sometimes it has a chance to become more-or-less fully fleshed-out--sometimes with success and sometimes not--and other times they don't even give it that chance. But the fairly high likelihood of them dropping or completely changing (often for the worse) their services is just one of many reasons I just don't even bother with them in the first place. Kind of like how I usually don't bother with shows on FOX or "SyFy" since 90%+ of the time they'll get canceled after a season, not to mention have a significant amount of interference from the network in that time.

A

Quote from: vertigo on February 02, 2021, 23:14:21
This is pretty typical for Google. They have a history of starting a project then ditching it a short while later. Sometimes it has a chance to become more-or-less fully fleshed-out--sometimes with success and sometimes not--and other times they don't even give it that chance. But the fairly high likelihood of them dropping or completely changing (often for the worse) their services is just one of many reasons I just don't even bother with them in the first place. Kind of like how I usually don't bother with shows on FOX or "SyFy" since 90%+ of the time they'll get canceled after a season, not to mention have a significant amount of interference from the network in that time.

I think you are confused, what they killed was Stadia Studio. Which is their in-house gaming company. NOT Stadia Game console.

Stadia Studio was a bit pointless since there is no shortage of games and it takes years to develop new games. And there is no guarantee of success.

I don't see google killing Stadia game console. While google does kill off their experiments, they don't kill things that contribute to their core business.

vertigo

Quote from: A on February 03, 2021, 16:40:05
Quote from: vertigo on February 02, 2021, 23:14:21

I think you are confused, what they killed was Stadia Studio. Which is their in-house gaming company. NOT Stadia Game console.

Stadia Studio was a bit pointless since there is no shortage of games and it takes years to develop new games. And there is no guarantee of success.

I don't see google killing Stadia game console. While google does kill off their experiments, they don't kill things that contribute to their core business.

No, I get that. Granted, that's what I thought when I first read the headline, but even though it's nowhere near as bad, my point is that Google is big on starting things then getting distracted and moving on to something else, leaving the first project half-finished, or outright discontinuing something after a relatively short period. They had to know what was involved before investing in building their own gaming studio, yet they did it anyway, then decided it wasn't worth it. Granted, they can afford to do that, but still. Just another example of how fickle they are.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview