News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Performance Test: GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop & RTX 3080 Laptop

Started by Redaktion, January 26, 2021, 15:03:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It was already fairly complicated to assess a gaming notebook's performance due to the various factors involved, such as for example the cooling system. With their current Ampere generation of GPUs, Nvidia upped the ante and made the hunt for the ideal laptop even harder.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Performance-Test-GeForce-RTX-3070-Laptop-RTX-3080-Laptop.516953.0.html

NikoB

It is clearly seen that against the background of a sharp progress in desktop options, NVidia's mobile chips are just a blatant distribution of publicity for money. There is practically no playable advantage in 2560x1440 +. In 4k, the difference reaches 2 times with desktop versions. There is simply nothing to pay for, and there is no point in buying new laptops 30-40% more expensive than old ones. Waste of money...

BenRes

Great marketing with the 140W 3070 beating the 3080.
It would be more honest if the product names were "3"+TDP (3100 for the 3080, 3140 for the 3070).
Also interesting how little improvement there is from Turing at the same TDP, despite the new process. This generation clearly wasn't designed for mobile, I wonder if we'll see a Pascal ever again.

ZODD

Pretty tasteless to compare the Wu Flu with GPU's.
I swear your writers are getting worse and worse.

Chris Lee

Good attempt at trying to make some sense of all the new 30xx based laptops.  I must say, the performance of these laptops are disappointing - in many cases my 1.5 year old 2080 Zephyrus S came close to the RTX 3080 based G15 in graphics synthetic benchmark, and bested the TUF Dash in many of the benchmarks.  Could it be that the Nvidia GPU drivers are still immature?  In any case I think Nvidia should enforce a mobile based naming convention based on tuned power limits - eg. RTX 3070 M1 {for <90W TDP), RTX 3070 M2 (for 90-105W) and so on.  At least then the consumer will have some idea of what performance GPU they're paying for.

dude what

This is incredibly disappointing, I was waiting Ampere for an upgrade and expected the 3080 mobile to be at least as fast as the 3070 desktop.
Waiting to see some benchs of laptops with a 3080@150W TDP but I'm really not excited anymore...

Cosimo Gioia

I think that people with 2000 series laptop are not disappointed about these new GPUs ;D...this is not a good upgrade considering that we now are 2 years from release (Jan 2018)...you can have maybe worthy performance if you go straight to 130-150 W rtx 3070 laptop gpu but for lower tdp versions we can stuck with 2080-2070 laptop gpu. Chaos in naming and poor marketing s*** of rtx 3080 running flight simulator on a triple monitor setup. >:D

DanT

I was looking at this laptop G533QS-RTX3080 from Asus.
Looking at your article, I would like to see how it compared to a 2080 (Super) variant.

Tianan

In other reviews, Zephyrus g15 reached 26000 points at FHD firestrike.
Perhaps differences in resolution affect benchmarks.

Rayatz

Been waiting for early benchmarks and actual gaming performance of the RTX 3070 and 3080 mobile GPUs in the latest laptops, and... so far, very disappointing results as even the older RTX2080 mobile (with higher TDP of 150 watts) can outperform the latest 3000 series mobile laptops on some triple A games! What is happening?!

Could it be the drivers haven't been properly optimized yet? Or the low TDP limits by the laptop OEMs? And is it better to buy a discounted RTX2080 laptop instead?

dude what

The Schenker XMG Neo 17 with a 140W 3070 is not too bad @1920*1080, it's basically 10-20% slower than a desktop 3070 in gaming (I know the gap widens at higher res)
Here's hope a 165W 3080 will actually deliver the performance of a 3070 desktop, at least @1920*1080

Polina

The XMG Neo 17 is using much faster memory than all the others including the 3080s, this and the 140W TDP may be the reason it overperforms. The others have less memory bandwidth than many 256-bit Turing-based laptops used to have, probably to save precious watts and redirect the power to the GPUs, but are probably bandwidth starved.
There's still no substitute for proper power+cooling, I wish the market wouldn't keep pushing for "thin and light" on gaming machines of all things, as the result is something that neither excels at portability nor at performance. A thick laptop could do 200W easily and without sounding like a vacuum cleaner (which I'm sure the XMG will).

fruitr

Quote from: Cosimo Gioia on January 27, 2021, 04:19:15
I think that people with 2000 series laptop are not disappointed about these new GPUs ;D...this is not a good upgrade considering that we now are 2 years from release (Jan 2018)...you can have maybe worthy performance if you go straight to 130-150 W rtx 3070 laptop gpu but for lower tdp versions we can stuck with 2080-2070 laptop gpu. Chaos in naming and poor marketing s*** of rtx 3080 running flight simulator on a triple monitor setup. >:D

Maybe thats why they are cheaper than 20xx

Spunjji

Quote from: ZODD on January 26, 2021, 20:05:44
Pretty tasteless to compare the Wu Flu with GPU's.
I swear your writers are getting worse and worse.

If you want to talk about tasteless, how about you can the "Wu Flu" bullshit?

This article's appreciated, though it mostly just confirms what I'd suspected: Nvidia can't work magic and the broad range of TDPs means people will have to read the TDP of their laptop's GPU to have even the faintest idea what performance to expect from it. Most buyers won't, so a lot of people are going to get ripped off buying a device that is "3080" in name only, twice over - once for it being the same chip as the desktop 3070, and once again for the lower-TDP models that perform more like a 3060.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview