News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New Microsoft advert claims the Surface Pro 7 is a better option than the MacBook Pro 13, including for gaming

Started by Redaktion, January 24, 2021, 06:36:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft is heavily promoting the Surface Pro 7 with recent price drops now accompanied by a new advert comparing the Surface Pro 7 to the MacBook Pro 13 M1. The advert is done in a presentation style and shows why Microsoft thinks you should choose its 2-in-1 device over Apple's laptop.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-Microsoft-advert-claims-the-Surface-Pro-7-is-a-better-option-than-the-MacBook-Pro-13-including-for-gaming.516758.0.html

S.Yu

Wholly agree. MS not only proposes laughable value year after year but now makes a fool of themselves with misleading advertisements like these.

Harry Konstantinos

"but can they rightly compare a laptop to a 2-in-1 and then penalise the laptop for not having tablet features?"

Yes, they can. This is a ridiculous point, I'm fact too many reviewers avoid adding points for features such as converting or stylus function when comparing against laptops without (eg macbook vs spectre).

The macbook lacks tablet features and the ipad lacks productivity and software features, that's the surfaces whole advantage, why only compare it to one of the two categories it occupies. The m1 cpu is spectacular, but any creator is effectively choosing to abandon a touchscreen and stylus for it, tools which other devices would be laughed at without.

As for "laughable value", until the m1, every macbook was laughable value ($1100 i3 macbook...). Surfaces offered the quality specs, ssds, screens and battery in a tablet form factor for less money. (though the lack of solid keyboard option is irritatingly incompetent business).

I've also thought that they've under sold the gaming aspect for years. The ipad is not a better gaming device unless you love gacha/loot box driven experiences. On the other hand, I played the entirety of MGS V: Phantom pain 1080p/30fps on a surface Pro 2!  A feet most would consider fiction, but it's not, and the pro 7 can run far more.

This could be a potentially major selling point if the offered a gaming optimizer for steam and such. Or better yet, a usb-c mini gpu dock option, such as a gtx 1650 ti in a external CD drive size case (ala the vaio Z media dock circa 2011...check it out) far more useful idea that a goddamn 200w tdp desktop gpu in a $400 briefcase running through a 40gbps .... wtf is wrong with people... I mean any advantage of "upgrade your gpu any time" is lost when the box costs more than the gpu.

Harrykonstantinos

Sorry NBC, I Wrote this before signing up, so sorry for duplicate

"but can they rightly compare a laptop to a 2-in-1 and then penalise the laptop for not having tablet features?"

Yes, they can. This is a ridiculous point, In fact too many reviewers avoid adding points for features such as converting or stylus function when comparing against laptops without (eg macbook vs spectre). The whole point of Converts/2in1 is that its not a seperate category and shouldn't be reviewed as such.

The macbook lacks tablet features and the ipad lacks productivity and software features. That's the Surface's whole advantage, why only compare it to one of the two categories it occupies. The m1 cpu is spectacular, but any creator is effectively choosing to abandon a touchscreen and stylus for it; tools which other devices would be laughed at without.

As for "laughable value", until the m1, every macbook was laughable value ($1100 i3 macbook... anyone?). Surfaces offered the quality with regard to specs, ssds, screens, build and battery life ... in a tablet form factor for less money!. (though the lack of solid keyboard option show yet more shockingly incompetent market research and business management).

I've also thought that they've under sold the gaming aspect for years. The ipad is not a better gaming device unless you love bad rip-offs of good games made purely for gacha/loot box-based gambling addiction profiteering. On the other hand, I played the entirety of MGS V: Phantom pain 1080p/30fps on a surface Pro 2!  A feet most would consider fiction, but it's not, and the pro 7 can run far more.

This could be a potentially major selling point if the offered a gaming optimizer for steam and such. Or better yet, a usb-c mini gpu dock option, such as a gtx 1650 ti in a external CD drive size case (ala the vaio Z media dock circa 2011...check it out, sony used to be so boss) anyways, far more useful idea that a goddamn 200w tdp desktop gpu in a $400 briefcase running through a 40gbps port .... wtf is wrong with people... I mean any advantage of "upgrade your gpu any time" is lost when the box costs more than the gpu.

Amd guy

Lol. That is why I don't listen to a 10 years old tell me Which laptop to buy. Btw when u add all the pen and keyboard together, surface is as almost expensive as MB air. Maybe Microsoft should think about why MacBook run even better window app on their simulation Rosetta instead of this crap ?

Jack G.

They missed an opportunity to release the SP7+ to consumers as the i7 model with the Iris Xe graphics outperforms the MX350 by 50% in some cases. They're comparing a last gen (with last gen Iris Plus iGPU) device to something new and saying it's better? Not to mention once this sale goes away it wont come with the pen nor the keyboard included. Coil whine is also present in the i5 fanless models and the MacBook Air for like $10 more than the sale price of an i5/8GB/128GB model (i5 models have the 48 EU "G4" graphics, not the G7 mind that) with keyboard and pen still can do marginally better.

Rrr

Have you ever used Windows? It's hot garbage. They needed to ditch NTFS years ago. You could build a pc with 4x the specs of a Mac and Mac would still be better. Windows is the worst OS available and has been for a long time.

xpclient

Microsoft's argument is laughable because Surface Pro sucks in many ways I don't even want to go into but there are other very awesome Windows laptops still worth getting over any MacBook regardless of how powerful or fast the M1 chip is.

JLThom

Point is...the comparison used recent MacBook Pro13 vs a recent Surface Pro7. And the Surface Pro shows that it's capable/productive like the MacBook & versatile like an iPad --- all in a tablet-based form factor. And the Surface Pro (is optioned right) is an excellent gaming machine too. Only a dedicated GPU would make it even better!

There's no REAL reason not to like or even consider getting a Surface Pro 7. Unless you just don't like Microsoft's Windows machine for the sake of all the Apple products you've purchased over the years.

undervolter0x0309

Windows kicks a**. From price to hardware.

And to top it off Apple drops product support after 4-5 years. Stop being trendy and actual think in which platform is objectively better. Apple fanboys.

Gus

The fact that microsoft disabled comments on their video tells me a lot.

By the way, There is one thing Surface does not have: MacOS.  Having to deal with windows is painful.

Dorby

Hypothetically,
Surface Pro with a capable ARM SoC, repairable and upgradeable chassis, iPad OS like Windows 10X + functioning Project Latte (Android app support), and much better pen and speakers - for the same price as MacBook Pro M1, keyboard, pen and fast charger included in the box.

I'd be down for that. Otherwise, it's a no from me.

Kles

No comparison between Mac OS and Winblows.
I've used Mac for 3 years. It was all stable and boring to use.
Then i returned to windows laptop for some excitement, but all I got were problems, crashes and unreliable software issues.

Never coming back to windows again.
MS should scrap their limping OS.

Craig Ward

Quote from: JLThom on January 24, 2021, 20:48:58
Unless you just don't like Microsoft's Windows machine for the sake of all the Apple products you've purchased over the years.

Quote from: undervolter0x0309 on January 25, 2021, 00:21:46
Stop being trendy and actual think in which platform is objectively better. Apple fanboys.

Hi guys, article author here. I'm not sure if these were questions for me or just general comments to everyone, but just so people don't think I'm just a Surface hater: In my household we've been heavy users of Surface Pro 3 i5, Surface Pro 4 i5, and Surface Pro 7 i7.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview